Hi there Y'all,
I'm having a rather strange issue with the way my game performs, namely in NW.js,
First off, when I run the game in Chrome, NOT in fullscreen, it performs terribly
. However when I created an Event using the browser object to request fullscreen when the player hits "P", and the browser goes fullscreen, the whole thing just smooths right out, from input latency and constant stuttering to silky and smooth as butter
, no real stuttering at all, this was a relief because I suppose it negates the likelihood that my admittedly amateurish coding or events were the culprit, or the way in which I've arranged the art assets.
The problem is, when I preview the game in NW.js, in windowed form (480,270) everything appears to be fine, though admittedly I am squinting trying to see the thing It seems clear it's running just fine inside the box. Hit "P", and everything just tanks. I'm not sure of the exact FPS, but it is in an unplayable state, constant stuttering and input latency. In fullscreen NW.js, it runs at least as bad if not worse than Chrome does in it's not fullscreen state.
So I exported the games using NW.js just to make sure the issues don't get ironed out somehow when exported and unfortunately they don't, the exported version is just as bad, fine windowed, broken in fullscreen.
Personally this is alarming because I intend for this to be a desktop game, I hope to put it up on steam and everything, and I need to be able to export in a good state in order to do that.
The game is pixel-arty, not too demanding and Chrome can obviously run the thing, so what could be causing this issue?
For reference, I've also tried running the game using firefox, it runs alright though does stutter a bit, still much better than NW.js, and fullscreen seems to do little to the games performances in this scenario. I also tried explorer, where it also runs alright, just this weird intermittent TICK jarring the game, explorer won't allow me to go fullscreen.
I haven't included a cap.x because, well, the games kinda big. Not in terms of size (it's only 18.6MB according to the editor) but there are a lot (hundreds if not more) of original assets in the project. I guess I could make a super striped down one but that would take some time and I'm kinda hoping there is a remedy to this that will allow me to continue with this rather long project I've been working on with the peace of mind that it won't be in vein because of some weird performance problem.
Thanks for reading