Strange Sound Problem with Internet Explorer 9/10

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Ok so how about we get back on topic.. IE non local doesn't seem to work. I have a project that also has no sound in Internet Explorer. This is bad.. so far as I can tell my project contains m4a, wav and ogg in the project.. so when i upload all three should be there.. and yet its totally silent.

Bickering over browsers is a waste of time... the reality is none of them are going away.. bitching about them isn't going to make any of them change their ways.. the question i think we all want to know is

"What can we do (or C2 fix) to allow us to have audio on internet explorer.? Any technology worth its salt should be able to make SOUND on IE."
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:32 pm

can anyone from Scirra weigh in on this issue? It's clearly a broad issue many users are experiencing. Having our games fail to make ANY sound on IE10 is a serious problem. we can't expect people to go use Chrome or Firefox.. clients will not be ok with us telling them their customers will have to use anything but IE10 to hear sound.. @Ashley can you confirm this issue? It's really thrown a wrench in my dealings with clients when I have to tell them they can't play their HTML5 game on IE..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm

As far as we are aware audio works just fine on IE9+. The most common reasons audio doesn't work after publishing is that you either forgot to encode or upload all the sound files, or your server MIME types are incorrect (described more in the manual). If it works in preview mode this makes it very likely to be to do with your server.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:14 pm

My game failed to make any sound in IE10 and IE11 until I made sure my web host had the mime types for m4a audio correctly added. Now all sounds work great in my games on IE10 and IE11.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:13 am

mime types? could you explain a little more about what you had to do to get it to work? This is great news!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:31 am

If you are hosting your game on the web, the web server has to have the correct mime types set, this tells the web server what types of files it can serve. In my case I use hostgator as my host and they allow me to go in and set the mime types. You can check the manual entry here on the site for audio and sounds and it has a section that tells you what the correct mime types are for playing audio in Internet Explorer. Ogg and the other formats where already there, I had to add an entry for .m4a. You can find out more in the manual here: http://www.scirra.com/manual/84/sounds-music
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:55 pm

awesome! I'm using hostgator as well. I got it to work! That's awesome. I'm glad there was a solution! I wonder why IE11 and it's predecessors are picky while Chrome and FireFox (and likely Safari) are cool with it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

How can your demographics show if IE users want your games when you don't support them?

What I added to my web.config file:
<staticContent>
<mimeMap fileExtension=".ogg" mimeType="audio/ogg" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".m4a" mimeType="audio/mp4" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".webapp" mimeType="application/x-web-app-manifest+json" />
</staticContent>

The last one was for Firefox's market for the manifest it needs to load off my site.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:19 pm

@part12studios it's not that they are picky or cool with it, it's that they support different audio types and most hosts seem to not enable m4a by default. It's a web server thing that interferes due to browser differences.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm

i see, yea I just assumed that if a file is uploaded, it can be accessed, but I've learned something new! :) Thanks. Problem resolved and sound is working. I have only tested on IE11, but I'm sure 9 and 10 would work now as well.

Thanks!
Caleb
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?