Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Awesome!

Load image from url maybe?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Yeah, but it needs to be split into animation frames, etc. Either way I'd like to make everything as easy as the part placement and manipulation - so single action, just load a sprite sheet and bam, have a new part set.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 am

Alright, here's an "early" next version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... index.html

It has Undo and Redo, massive thanks to @rexrainbow for the plugin.

Saving and Loading, Cut, Copy and Paste. There could be some weirdness left in there somewhere so please comment on anything that acts weird.

There's a new data file - it will also save the selected state, here's a sample so you can play around with something: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... ptorX.sgen

ZOrdering not done yet, but close. Also the UI will change, which is why it's a little weird for now.

You can check a manual of sorts here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16om ... sp=sharing

And I noticed through Dropbox the saving is a bit annoying, with the new window and such - is there a way to avoid this?

NOTE: This tileset is not final so please don't get attached to any creations. This version will stay up a while, though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 pm

@Somebody

Total Mindblow.
This version is a great leap forward.

Suggestions.
. Colors (white & black are gone) (Maybe a color picker?)
. A way to slice parts because some parts i used for my hover tank are now gone (they where smaller than your default shape size, half square), slicing would enable some nice shape options.
. Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes
. Drag & Drop (as addon to "wasd")
. Mouse scroll zoom in/out
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Savvy001 wrote:@Somebody

Total Mindblow.
This version is a great leap forward.

Good, good, I try my best. With ZOrdering in it should be a blast, all the way.

Savvy001 wrote:Suggestions.
. Colors (white & black are gone) (Maybe a color picker?)
. A way to slice parts because some parts i used for my hover tank are now gone (they where smaller than your default shape size, half square), slicing would enable some nice shape options.
. Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes
. Drag & Drop (as addon to "wasd")
. Mouse scroll zoom in/out

You can get black and white by lowering the saturation all the way (Shift+:) and then Rising or lowering brightness (Shift+< and Shift+>). But I'm aware of this - in the next proper version we'll have the loadable pallettes so it won't be a concern anymore.

Slicing parts is on the menu, but it will mean that each part is completely unique, so it would eat video memory for breakfast. But I'm looking into it. In fact I looked into far enough to think of most of the possible slices:
The red ones would slice the part, the green would modify the shape. I suspect with a system like this you could just go crazy on the tile modifications. But these would also have to be finalized and a part of the save system, just like the parts, so I'm keeping that for some optimistic future once again.

Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes - Did you try the [ ] ; " < > keys? It's not quite the same, but it does let you go quite wild the colors.

Drag & Drop - this one is a little low on the todo list, to be honest, but I might look into it.

Mouse scroll and zoom - last time I tried this it irritated me so much it's also been thrown to the back of the todo... but it will come. For now you can press Z and see what happens (in the center of he screen, sigh).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 pm

@Someboy

Z works great but does not center on image (that brings another suggestion to move canvas on right mouse when zoomed in.)
[&] + <&> are nice but i'l wait to adjust the colors when the color palettes are implemented :-)

Those slice options look better than what i had in mind.
Awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:52 pm

The latest link has been updated. T - Towards top, B - Towards bottom, Shift+T - To top, Shift+B - To bottom. Multiple selections work and will work until you reach a limit (i.e. the top object is already at the top), then weird things might happen.

Feedback welcome :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:32 pm

@Somebody

Z order works great!

Check out my new Stuffgen Hovertank ingame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaP0mitKCk
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

On my mobile, so its a bit small, but looks cool and I'd say a water-based bright environment is really neat. Also adds posibilities for gameplay.

Glad to hear Zordering works \O/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Nice! I've been waiting to get my hands on this. :) Here are some observations right off the back. First, it looks much better now then before. The grid is much better this way as are the guide points. I like how the zoom works and for me the not being centered thing isn't a big deal (at least not yet). Here are some issues that I've come across so far. I'm sure you're aware of some of them already.

- I'm still getting the distorted hue issue in the purple range.
- When I try to change the z order one at a time, I have to press the t or b button twice the first time before the objects will start moving.
- Importing your interceptorx.sgen file causes a bunch of catastrophic issues. The buttons don't work as expected anymore. For example, pressing S will attempt to download a file rather then moving the objects. Basically I think that for some reason the program thinks that the control key is pressed when it's not.
- Using the control keys is a bit awkward after not using them for so long. Maybe it's something that I just need to get used to. I understand that you're trying to make it more universal so new users will know the keys right away. It just makes things slightly harder to do then before. For example to copy and mirror an object before was very quick as I could just press c, m and I was done. Now I have to press control c, control v, and m. Like I said, not a huge issue and I'm sure it's something I'll get used to.
- This may not be an issue at all once your pallet option is introduced, but it might be a good idea to make your color swatches smaller and add them into the same area with the menu. That would make the workspace a bit bigger.
- Also, since there are buttons next to the text parts in the menu, I was expecting a mouse click on them to activate, but they don't seem to. I have to do the keyboard shortcut even though it seems like if I were to click on it the operation should be completed.

Overall great update. I'll be playing around with it and let you know if anything else pops up.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests