Subscription Pricing Alternative

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Rayek wrote:Construct 3 rental: you stop paying, you cannot open your older projects for updates/changes.

How do you know that?
What if you just can't export without a subscription?

How many times a year do you export?
Would you prefer to pay each time for that?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:15 pm

newt wrote:
Rayek wrote:Construct 3 rental: you stop paying, you cannot open your older projects for updates/changes.

How do you know that?

True, I can't be sure whether that is actually the case. I am basing this on other rental software: if Scirra would allow their users to open, edit and save any project in Construct 3 without renting, they would possibly be shooting themselves in the foot: what's to keep users from using the free version to create their games, and only paying a rental fee at the very end of their development cycle? Suppose someone takes 2-3 years to finish their game, and paying the rent only when they need to export? That is, if it is possible to test the game in the free version.

Anyway, it would make the rental service too complicated for Scirra. Better to have a simple limited version that cannot open larger projects nor export to mobile (perhaps just web), and only allow these to be opened when the rent is being payed. Similar to the current Construct 2 situation: the free version is limited in export functionality, and cannot be used to open project beyond the basic limits set by that free version.

Works like that for Adobe, Autodesk, and other rental software. I don't see it working differently for Construct 3.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 pm

You can't reliably protect a html5 product from being copied, that's one of the few real issues with it.
You can try to restrict its use with logins, but that too can be bypassed since the code is right there for the taking, just like our html5 games, or any exe for that matter.
Of course the most likely abuse will come in the form of scam, or phishing users passwords.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm

newt wrote:

How do you know that?

Well, I just read in another thread that Tom confirmed that

Tom wrote:- If your subscription expires, you will not be able to edit the game (but you can open them in read only mode)

So projects can be opened, but cannot be edited (or exported). Stop paying and you are locked out of your own projects.

Now, I just do not understand why anyone (outside larger studios) as a game dev would willingly ever shut themselves in like that. Scirra sort-of holds your projects hostage, in my opinion. Unless the rent is payed.

I have a real hard time understanding how this is a 'good' thing for small developers.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Rayek wrote:So projects can be opened, but cannot be edited (or exported). Stop paying and you are locked out of your own projects.

Now, I just do not understand why anyone (outside larger studios) as a game dev would willingly ever shut themselves in like that. Scirra sort-of holds your projects hostage, in my opinion. Unless the rent is payed.

I have a real hard time understanding how this is a 'good' thing for small developers.

I don't understand how it's good for any game developer to stop supporting the company that provides the software they are using to make money. If you're a serious developer why would you even consider cutting small a yearly/montly fee to save a few bucks unless you're a real cheapskate... IF you're serious about your game development and decide to lock your self out from further development, and can't even spend 99 per year to keep your products up to date for your customers you should probably do something else than developing games.

If you're a pure hobbyist and don't intend on making any money on your games, 99 per year is still a very cheap hobby... if you really enjoy it, and can't stand the limitations of a free version.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm

tunepunk wrote:
Rayek wrote:So projects can be opened, but cannot be edited (or exported). Stop paying and you are locked out of your own projects.

I don't understand how it's good for any game developer to stop supporting the company that provides the software they are using to make money. If you're a serious developer why would you even consider cutting small a yearly/montly fee to save a few bucks unless you're a real cheapskate... IF you're serious about your game development and decide to lock your self out from further development, and can't even spend 99 per year to keep your products up to date for your customers you should probably do something else than developing games.

If you're a pure hobbyist and don't intend on making any money on your games, 99 per year is still a very cheap hobby... if you really enjoy it, and can't stand the limitations of a free version.

You dont stop supporting them. Rather than that you are paying them for upgrades they do on the engine :roll: without having ticking DRM crap on what you paid for
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Really need more information than what's being given.
I understand the need to dribble out features, but licensing has to be clearly defined, and all at one time.
All we can do is just guess as to how this is to work, and that's clearly not a good thing.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:23 pm

newt wrote:

How do you know that?

I'm absolutely certain they've clarified that the ability to use the program ceases if and when your subscription expires.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:08 pm

I am in the hate subs camp too, but would happily pay more than the yearly sub - I know, weird, but subs are just that loathsome.

However I doubt it is sensible to be making the editor reliant on a third-party, especially chrome - that is super risky, rely on google lol.

As far as support the developers - yes no problem there at all, but consider:
Give all of your current user base an editor (that doesn't rely on chrome) for just:
- $1 for ever = $3,275,900 that should feed them dinner for a while
- $1 per month = $39,310,800 should be able to afford sweets now, likely every day!
- $8 per month (or what ever the current sub rate is) = 375, 686, 400 - now we're talking ( yes I know that they all won't jump on board - but they would for point 2)

But I doubt C2 in a browser will be that good....
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Zebbi wrote:
newt wrote:

How do you know that?

I'm absolutely certain they've clarified that the ability to use the program ceases if and when your subscription expires.

construct-3-official-information-thread_t187100?start=880
Tom said:
- You can continue to collect revenues from published games if your subscription ends, that's fine
- You will not be able to edit or publish games if your subscription has expired, but you can open in read only
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion