Subscription Pricing Alternative

Post » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:18 pm

mumu64 wrote:
ruskul wrote:In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. (...) I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year...


I also wish the hobbyist price would go down to $50! :)

I wouldn't be interested if it was $10 per-anum, I just want to own it, charge $500 if they must. Or charge $100 for updates until the next major upGRADE version number (v3.0-v4.0, v3.4-v4.4, v4.6-v5.6, etc)
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,282

Post » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:05 am

Zebbi wrote:
mumu64 wrote:
ruskul wrote:In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. (...) I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year...


I also wish the hobbyist price would go down to $50! :)

I wouldn't be interested if it was $10 per-anum, I just want to own it, charge $500 if they must. Or charge $100 for updates until the next major upGRADE version number (v3.0-v4.0, v3.4-v4.4, v4.6-v5.6, etc)


I disagree with you. :)
My latest game is: Plants at www.rogerty.com
B
28
S
6
G
7
Posts: 683
Reputation: 5,686

Post » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:28 pm

mumu64 wrote:
I disagree with you. :)

Well, yeah, if it was ten dollars a year, on second thoughts, I might do! :p
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,282

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:12 am

All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
35
S
13
G
7
Posts: 363
Reputation: 7,283

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 am

The feeling of being milked or squeezed is awful :?

And more if you realize that after being paying for 5 years with that money you could have bought another better tool to use it always
CODE FOR FUN
B
22
S
8
G
2
Posts: 74
Reputation: 2,349

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 am

michael wrote:All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.

I totally agree. While Scirra doesn't seem to go this way now, I hope that they'll consider this in the future. I'm fine with paying for updates, and I would stay subscribed just to support them, but I'd like to have the feeling that I could use the software in it's current state even if I'd stop paying.

Edit.: Also, I think the users would feel more eased with the subscription model, and wouldn't consider subscribing and developing in C3 as risky as some of the users expressed.
B
137
S
33
G
17
Posts: 1,560
Reputation: 20,797

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 pm

michael wrote:All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.


I would be happy with this type of payment.
B
31
S
13
G
21
Posts: 844
Reputation: 14,693

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:27 pm

michael wrote:All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.

#qftt
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,282

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm

glerikud wrote:Edit.: Also, I think the users would feel more eased with the subscription model, and wouldn't consider subscribing and developing in C3 as risky as some of the users expressed.

I think that would make a massive difference. Also, they'd best do it soon imo. It takes time to build a loyal user base. It takes some time to tear it down too. People don't jump ships that easily, but when they do they're gone. And I think the subscription deal (at least in it's current shape) is a big enough push to force many people to do it. I'm scoping for alternatives myself, checking out tutorials and getting a feel for things. Once I commit to a different tool I won't make it back here probably, regardless of how glorious C3 ends up becoming.

Another thing to consider. If even loyal C2 users are starting to consider alternatives, despite everything, what does that say of how enticing this sort of deal appears for potential newcomers? I mean I have to assume Scirra have been considering all this hard, but in my own head it just doesn't make sense.
B
40
S
16
G
6
Posts: 543
Reputation: 7,649

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm

michael wrote:All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.


The problem with that idea though is that you would indeed still be milking them, since you don't pay to keep the server running anymore, yet you still have access to it. At some point there wouldn't be money to pay for the cloud server anymore without a loss because nobody would be paying annually, yet their server would possibly need upgrades because of a larger user-base that would require a bigger server capacity and other things.

If you are a corporation with other products that are profitable, then yes it's possible but if you're a company with a one time fee product, then there's no steady income to make such a business model possible.

You may not have access to the cloud anymore, but you can still download your stuff and work offline as far as I have understood.
Last edited by CandyFace on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
21
S
5
G
4
Posts: 68
Reputation: 3,273

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest