Subscription Pricing Alternative

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 am

The problem here is that Scirra can happen to something like Toshiba (Read news about Toshiba)

By not focusing on its authentic users and going to other markets can lose everything
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok, the subscription is mandatory and I think that will not change in 6 months at least, that is, I think there will be no single payment option in at least 6 months and this would be if the subscription does not work for Scirra.
This is what I think right now.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

The Mnk wrote:Ok, the subscription is mandatory and I think that will not change in 6 months at least, that is, I think there will be no single payment option in at least 6 months and this would be if the subscription does not work for Scirra.
This is what I think right now.

@Tom

This will really depend on the volume of existing users (maybe minimum at least 6-8k subscribed users) that are willing to bite the 50% off promo. I think scirra will not change the subscription model for at least 1 year. Btw pricing is already announced https://www.scirra.com/forum/construct-3-pricing_t187766 and is final.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Yes, it is possible, 1 year or 18/24 mounths mostly.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 pm

I think people have power
If people do not support subscriptions, it will force Scirra to reconsider the situation
I'm not going to support the subscriptions system, I was willing to pay much more but to buy, rent? no thanks
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Well, I've just bought GMS2 (Game Maker Studio 2) and by FAR the main reason is that C3 is heading to sub only, GMS2 is one price buy it and own it.

So sadly, as much as I enjoyed Construct 2, I'm now moving platform.
(I hope a lot of people do the same, why? because then perhaps Scirra will see the light and give us a one off price ..at which point I may purchase it and return)

Take care all, bye (for now at least)
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:19 pm

I too will probably eventually jump ship. As much as I love the Construct workflow, I really think it's the best out there - there is simply no justifying the particularly narrow-minded subscription model they're proposing. If it were tweaked a bit in favour of users rights I would reconsider. But as it stands it appears to have a complete disregard for the user. Really not a good look. There are subscription models out there that protect users rights as well as developers, if Scirra aren't going to entertain these I won't entertain trying C3. I think the slow drip of information may be doing more harm than good. Unless they've got something big up their sleeve that will save it at the end, but by then it might be too late. People are already looking at other engines, myself included.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Zebbi wrote:I'll be absolutely honest, I took an old game with a lot of badly optimized code, HD screen resolution intended for desktop-only, loads of layers and extensions (even some 3rd-party that weren't comparable with the exporter and wouldn't build) in Fusion 2.5, and slapped on a thumbstick and compiled my very first ever android apk in F2.5. And it worked. Flawlessly. Perfect performance. Smooth fps and gameplay. First. Apk. Ever.

I've build hundreds of apks in Cocoon, Phonegap and XDK. And none of them have come out well. So far, my only "succesful" compile with cocoon on GooglePlay doesn't even work with some phones (thanks to cocoon, XDK was painful slow).

That's just my experience though.

I had a similar experience

packaging a construct2 game + xdk = a super slow when ran from the installed game, but normal speed when running from localhost. So when you playtest with localhost you get different performance from waht you actually get when you export the game to an apk - inside a wrapper

Exporting a fusion 2.5 game - when playtesting fusion creates a native apk and moves it to the phone via the usb cable, then runs the apk. So what you get when playtesting is the same as what you will get in the final game - and the speed/framerate was much better than construct's wrapped in xdk game apk.

I think the low performance in construct2 games installed via apk is the wrapper. I tried it only with xdk, havent tested with cacoon.. That was a while ago though. Since then maybe xdk got faster?

Native built games will always outperform games relying on a wrapper, because they dont have an extra software layer to talk to the hardware.

A good question to ask is - will construct3 editor be able to export to html5 without using any network service, and allow the user to wrap the game with xdk/cacoon the same way construct2 does?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 am

blurymind wrote:A good question to ask is - will construct3 editor be able to export to html5 without using any network service, and allow the user to wrap the game with xdk/cacoon the same way construct2 does?

Yes, they confirmed it in the blog posts that they'll keep the export options for using 3rd party wrappers.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Zonacas wrote:I think people have power
If people do not support subscriptions, it will force Scirra to reconsider the situation
I'm not going to support the subscriptions system, I was willing to pay much more but to buy, rent? no thanks

I'll do so!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion