Sucessful indie games on PC. Why C2 have no examples?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
These recognizable, fun-filled and simple music loops are a great asset for fast prototyping and ready for use.
  • I have being doing some research about indie games performance sales on PC like Risk of rain, Hyper Light Drifter, Magicite, The Escapists, This War of Mine, Don't Starve, Starbound, hero siege and others. None of them was made using C2. Also all C2 games released until today didn't get even close to that on steam and humble bundle.

I then started to questioning why. Is it just the quality of games that have being made with C2? Is It the fact that C2 is too young, even though there are already 6 years(+-)? Perhaps there aren't too many people using it in order to someone get featured in the crowd or games in C2 aren't good/polished enough for the market. I might believe in one of these possibilities as an answer based on researchs but...

...What do you think about it?

Of course I'm doing it because I'm working in a long term project and I want to know more about the market. I'm aware getting your game to be succesful and start to make a good living upon it is really difficult but we also know that indie games never made so much money like they do now. Saying that, I plan to finish my game no matter what the probabilities are because this is my dream. Although no one here is naive, everyone would love to make tons of money and doing what you love.

Edit: Just to clarify. Successful games can have different concepts for each one so by successful games I mean revenues that easily allow you to work on it full time, make your living and invest on your next game.

• steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails

I didn't say there wasn't any game published. I don't get your point bud.

• > steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails

>

I didn't say there wasn't any game published. I don't get your point bud.

I get your point on Android there have been a couple of successful games that have gotten over 100,000 downloads and/or been featured on Apple and Android store over the past year

So you see over the past year things have been heating up for Construct2 developers.You can make great games with Construct 2 that people will enjoy I just gave you some proof. Its all up to your ability to make a game that connects to the user. Every game engine has some hit games, some more than others. Unity for example has tons of hits. But most of the developers that made it big in unity also had money to market their games too.

So go make that game!! You don't know your game might be the next big hit!!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm pretty sure there are several in that list that would qualify in your ideal of successful.

To what extent I'm unsure. Asking a developer how much he made is liable to get no response.

I think the real answer to your question is that if income is your first priority, then perhaps game dev is not for you.

It can take years to learn to code, and more years to hit upon a successful combination of game mechanics, graphics, sound, fx, music, marketing....

• PixelPower This topic is about PC titles buddy and yes I'm already doing it and it's an awesome trip

newt I'm not sure about that. Do you know steam spy? It gives you a pretty good estimation of earnings based on copies sold. Also, as I have said, making a game is a dream that I have for many years and I'll not stop until I get something concret. The answer to my question accordingly to you is just too offensive and you should stop with bullsh*t since I stated why I'm making my game on my first post. So please keep your effort to stay in the topic goal, which is to friendly discuss about everything related to the subject such as analysing successful games, marketing, earnings, etc. and not to discuss what I want.

• C2 is still a browser focused game engine, that alone puts people off by quite a margin (the node webkit issues we had alone would throw some people off).

then you have people working more into mobile markets and html5 markets as it is "easier", or perhaps quicker money wise, than having a fully polished game on PC, or because they want to legitimately target mobile.

there are also the ones who simply want to make games as a side thing and do not care about earnings, and since C2 is not a big investment in this realm, they can afford that.

there are also people I think using C2 as a first step in gaming developpement and then switching over something more conventionnal.

that would be my opinion on the subject, hope it is what you wanted.

• there are also people I think using C2 as a first step in gaming developpement and then switching over something more conventionnal.

This is important note. But I still wait C3. Because other game engines are too difficult to me.

• OK, I guess look up Steam games made with C2 on Steam Spy, and you will get some data.

It's not going to be a lot. The Pc market is lackluster, indie games are under priced, and so called AAA games are overpriced beyond compare.

If you want metrics, go get the amount of likes, and the number of followers from social media.

It is as they say "going to be a bumpy ride"

• Aphrodite Good points. Although C2 can still make 2d games like any other engine, I bet that with some limitations compared to others but still can. People swifting to unity for example to make a 2d game is something I don't get, even knowing that unity is much more powerful but doesn't have the celerity of C2.

• Aphrodite Good points. Although C2 can still make 2d games like any other engine, I bet that with some limitations compared to others but still can. People swifting to unity for example to make a 2d game is something I don't get, even knowing that unity is much more powerful but doesn't have the celerity of C2.

I think it's more platform-wise. No console porting except Wii U. If Construct supports PS4 or Xbox One porting then less people would switch.

You mentioned Unity, and this is its porting options. https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

• I pointed out the mobile games just to show successful games are made with Construct 2. But if your asking can Construct 2 make games that are successful on PC , then yes of course but its up to you the creator to make one.

But also like I said if you want to succeed you need a marketing budget to effectively get your game out. Most developers just make games and release them with free marketing. If you do that then its going to be tough to get sales. You can try and maybe be lucky or you can invest in the game to help it reach a fanbase.

Mortar Melon is the only PC game that reached 1 million downloads and that was back when Windows 8 was popular. Thats the only PC success story I know of.

• I forgot to mention its on the Wii U now.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/8E ... wgS5WE4xqz

• I think unity has this "I am a well known reference" going for it, C2 is seen as an engine even some html5 publishers refuses, or seen as a prototyping tool.

C2 also has this thing where you know from where you start but you don't know how much optimisation will be needed and also if the wrapper will simply break once again.

• shinichild For sure. Porting options is just ridiculous.

PixelPower Yeah, marketing is crucial. The game being good and running well is "just" one step.

Aphrodite About the wrapper, In what level do you mean? And I must say that NW.Js isn't really so reliable. It's good but not solid I might say.

Regardless to all this problems I think It's still totally possible to make a really good game for PC.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)