Sucessful indie games on PC. Why C2 have no examples?

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:08 pm

kossglobal wrote:@Aphrodite Good points. Although C2 can still make 2d games like any other engine, I bet that with some limitations compared to others but still can. People swifting to unity for example to make a 2d game is something I don't get, even knowing that unity is much more powerful but doesn't have the celerity of C2.

I think it's more platform-wise. No console porting except Wii U. If Construct supports PS4 or Xbox One porting then less people would switch.

You mentioned Unity, and this is its porting options. https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 pm

@kossglobal

I pointed out the mobile games just to show successful games are made with Construct 2. But if your asking can Construct 2 make games that are successful on PC , then yes of course but its up to you the creator to make one.

But also like I said if you want to succeed you need a marketing budget to effectively get your game out. Most developers just make games and release them with free marketing. If you do that then its going to be tough to get sales. You can try and maybe be lucky or you can invest in the game to help it reach a fanbase.

Mortar Melon is the only PC game that reached 1 million downloads and that was back when Windows 8 was popular. Thats the only PC success story I know of.
Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:24 pm

I forgot to mention its on the Wii U now.
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/8E ... wgS5WE4xqz
Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 pm

@kossglobal I think unity has this "I am a well known reference" going for it, C2 is seen as an engine even some html5 publishers refuses, or seen as a prototyping tool.

C2 also has this thing where you know from where you start but you don't know how much optimisation will be needed and also if the wrapper will simply break once again.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 pm

@shinichild For sure. Porting options is just ridiculous.

@PixelPower Yeah, marketing is crucial. The game being good and running well is "just" one step.

@Aphrodite About the wrapper, In what level do you mean? And I must say that NW.Js isn't really so reliable. It's good but not solid I might say.

Regardless to all this problems I think It's still totally possible to make a really good game for PC.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:53 pm

we had about one year of node-webkit janking, which looked bad and was disorienting, not a good thing going for C2, as you said, good but no warranty of it being solid enough
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:55 pm

kossglobal wrote: And I must say that NW.Js isn't really so reliable. It's good but not solid I might say.

Some video capture program doesn't work with NW.JS. Manually I need to capture my screen while playing my game windowed mode. I hope C3 drops NW.JS and get it's own system. Because C3 states "Windows, Mac and Linux Support Construct 3 will run beautifully on whatever operating system you want to use.". I guess it's about 'own' preview browser. Also they admit current PC support is unstable from my view.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:25 pm

@Aphrodite
@shinichild
Yes. I hope they provide a much better support for PC on C3 and C2 because imo there is no reason to buy C3 if there is not enough improvements for the engine and methods of exporting and porting your game cause it makes no sense at all having a good engine but you can't have a polished and stable way to release your game.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:33 am

@Aphrodite

Without asking too specifics, was it worth porting to wii u? How big is the indie market there?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 am

@ReflextionsDev I'm not a wii u dev so I can only know a little things or two (and I'm also under no NDA so what I can gather is public), it seemed the wiiU did not support webGL at all, so porting a big game to wii u must be a chore.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing