[Suggestion] Animated tiled backgrounds

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a pack with 7 space backgrounds wich have variations.
  • Pretty much as stated in the Subject. Would be great for making full screen effects like rain, snow, fog etc. That doesn't use a lot of resources.

• +1

• The tiled background's simplicity, is why it's so efficient...

Maybe a new object altogether..."the tiled sprite"

• That works too! This could have a lot of potential uses. Imagine them parallaxed!

• This could be emulated using the recently added sprite font plugin and timer behavior.

• Sprites would be done with WebGL tile effect, it could look like animated tile background.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Pretty much as stated in the Subject. Would be great for making full screen effects like rain, snow, fog etc. That doesn't use a lot of resources.

Agree!

• Magistross

Indeed... But very bad Idea :D

In Canvas 2D, the spritefont plugin would draw each tile one by one (almost as bad as using tonnes of sprite directly)

Whereas you usually want to use context.createPattern() to make something tile (that's what the tiledbg plugin uses)

In WebGL the spritefont plugin would draw a quad for each repetition (faster than canvas2D, but still).

Whereas you would probably just wrap a texture on a big quad.

Knowing that the major bottleneck in html5 is the rendering... bad idea =)

And in both cases, using createPattern (canvas2D) or a big texture (WebGL) you would avoid seaming issues.

Personnally, I made a quick test on JSBin and animating a tiled bg using image frames should be possible.

http://jsbin.com/aqowin/2 (tested with canvas2D)

I'm not sure though how much strains it puts on performances. But any cases, redrawing big chunks of screen (and tilebg are more likely to be big objects) is expansive.

I'm not entirely sure why tiled background aren't animatable, but I would bet on the "big todolist" syndrom =)

And well... you can always emulate animated tiledbg by using many objects and alternating their visibility. (I did that once)

• +1 Would be very useful, not sure what sort of hit on performance you would get though?

• Magistross

Indeed... But very bad Idea :D

Yann I bet it is ! But hey, emulating something always cost more ressources ! :P

• that's a good idea but I think before that, a debug system need urgently be made for large projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)