[SUGGESTION] Deeper Topic levels in Creations

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] because newcomers (and not so newcomers) just seem to not care about the structure of the forums and post wherever they want to.[/QUOTE]

Bingo , And that's why we should display the "tips on how to post" as soon as the user creates his account , like other websites do for their rules

it may be a bit of work to implement , but it will help us on the long term

Anyways , that's my 50 cents
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:35 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] [QUOTE=damainman]I guess a mod would have to keep that in check.[/QUOTE]

Which means that instead of you having to look and sort the posts, that's a job that would be issued on mods.
And, as far as I'm concerned (and only talking in my name), that's some time I can't spare/job I'm not willing to take[/QUOTE]

I have to agree - not only would that take a lot of doing for us, it's also highly subjective what quality level a work is at and people are likely to get offended if we pick a category that the person disagrees with, not to mention we would have to research or play everything that gets posted to properly determine the category. The amount of work it would require is the same reason that games put on the arcade are auto-approved now - it was just too much for us to deal with to approve them manually.

I also agree that the 'your creations' section is a bit problematic as it is, though I'm not sure of the best way to do anything about it. Maybe something sort of like the TIGSource forums have might work, having a section for completed games and another for devlogs/in progress ones. Then when someone has finished a game, they can start a new thread in the completed games section?

Thinking about it, even if users do post in the wrong area and simply we leave them there, having multiple categories might be better anyway. We would get at least some categorization that way, as I suspect most users would place their threads in the right place. Tech demos(or call it experiments instead?)/devlogs/completed games sounds good to me in that case.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:03 am

@Arima I wouldn't expect anyone to sort every post on the forum, that's an crazy assumption. But as is the "Your Creations" has become a mess to sort through.

I think it should be 3 or 4 separate places to post - 80-90% of beginners post something and then ditch it entirely. They should have their own section and if they are serious they can ask to have it bumped to a real devlog section. Never thought of a finished section, that's a great idea too. But a tech demo one is good - like I said, I myself feel stupid bumping beginners off the first page with a "look what I did" post.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 am

For starters, we could get rid of or combine all the dang sticky threads. That would double the amount of space on the front page. It's really a 2:3 ratio of sticky threads to creation threads.

But a released/in-progress division alone may be worth it. Also, you could have a 'showcase' section where a few games get the limelight for a week at a time or something.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 am

It could be made easier by allowing users to flag a post as 'wrong category' so the mods can check it out and act on it if needed. Same amount of work to move things, but less time lost in random browsing.

I also quite like the percentage of completion on the topic title in the TIGsource forums.
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 am

[QUOTE=sved] allowing users to flag a post as 'wrong category'[/QUOTE]

This.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 am

[QUOTE=C-7] For starters, we could get rid of or combine all the dang sticky threads. That would double the amount of space on the front page. It's really a 2:3 ratio of sticky threads to creation threads.
[/QUOTE] +1
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Website Issues and Feedback