Suggestion: Multiple Collisions (with tagging)

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose the right answer for the shown equation.
  • It'd probably be pretty processor-intensive if used ridiculously, but I think there's a real market for having multiple collisions on sprites, but be able to 'tag' the collisions (or at least give them numbers), so a collision check can be made by a collision's number or tag within a sprite.

For example, in a fighting game, you would want a general collision box around their body, then individual ones (hands, feet, torso, head), to check what part of what person attacked the other.

At the moment, doing that check manually is pretty brutal.

I think it might come in handy for lots of projects, and wouldn't be growing on the current collision system that much.

Note: I don't actually need it for a project I'm currently working on, so don't stress yourself. It's just a friendly suggestion.

• Discussed here previously. It's a popular suggestion, but why not just use invisible sprites as collision detectors? Multiple collision masks in one object would be complicated in the engine, and make for some fiddly UI. On the other hand, invisible detector sprites already work, and are fast and intuitive. I don't think such a feature is necessary.

• Discussed here previously. It's a popular suggestion, but why not just use invisible sprites as collision detectors? Multiple collision masks in one object would be complicated in the engine, and make for some fiddly UI. On the other hand, invisible detector sprites already work, and are fast and intuitive. I don't think such a feature is necessary.

Cant help but have my opinion on this. But i believe M.U.G.E.N engine does this great with hot boxes and collision boxes. I suggest researching this for fighting games Ashley. I think its far quicker to do it this way then making a bunch of objects then stick then on the highly animated character..

• There's always the plugin route, in fact this runs almost parallel to the planned Spriter plug Lucid, and Brashmonkey are doing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • May be off topic, but as PixelPalette said, this could bring a light on the matter:

Collision Filters are very useful for Physics games.

For example, I made a sideview ragdoll soccer prototype in Corona where every object had physics, but :

• ball had to collide with head, feet, and hand (fault!)
    • the ball couldn't collide with the torso, legs
    • all body parts were attached by joints, and should not collide with each other.
    • the player's body parts had to collide with the obstacles, as well as the ball.

Without collision filters, this setup would be impossible!

Of course, this is an extreme example, but I think more and more people will request this as Construct gets more users and allows for more complex things.

developer.anscamobile.com/content/game-edition-collision-detection

• I wonder if that could be accomplished with construct classic's "disable physics collisions with object" action.

That action would be nice to have in C2 anyway - I used it often.

• Collision filters are different to multiple collision masks, aren't they? And they'd only apply to physics, since you can 'filter' collisions in C2 just by adding extra conditions to a collision event.

• Apologies for not searching in the past few days on the forums, Ashley.

I agree that you can use separate sprites and used the collision on those (which works), but it just doesn't seem to have the 'finesse' that multiple collisions on a single object would be. Also it gets messy when you duplicate a single object lots of times (though that should be solved with Families).

I wouldn't imagine the UI would be finicky at all; it'd be very similar to the ImagePoints window, where you can create a new one, give it a name etc. The major problem, however, would be behind the scenes (does this collision stop on Solids, etc).

• I agree with a desire for multiple collision masks. It's not entirely great to take a complex character, make 3-5 copies and then form various collision boxes like that. It works, but theres a lot of annoying crap involved (optimally I'd wanna be able to play collision masks over transparent version of the normal original sprite).

I C1 I'm working with 4 different characters, each each with anywhere from 6 to 10 attacks, and it gets pretty cumbersome. If I had something liek this as an option, I would not only just use it for what I'm doing now, but probably do even more complex things in games.

I'm pretty sure Gamma is right. You'll be hearing this request again.

• This would indeed be an interesting feature!

• There's always the plugin route, in fact this runs almost parallel to the planned Spriter plug Lucid, and Brashmonkey are doing.

Thanks newt. This is exactly right, you can have multiple named collision boxes on a per animation frame basis.

Here's the relevant link

scirra.com/forum/spriter-multiimage-animation-coming-to-c2_topic44969.html[/url]

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)