Suggestion : Official Sprite Font Plugin

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Well, to my knowledge the Sprite Font limits you nowhere, since you can assign any graphic representation to any char (so you can do chinese, klingon lettering )

I for my part am not really focusing on multilanguage support (making loca is a pain in the ass anyway and a waterproof localization in a language I don't really speak is nearly impossible)

You wouldn't have to trash the Webfont support, I am just suggesting a Plugin like the existing SpriteFont (wouldn't even need any more features) , just offically supported.

The things I want to do (retro pixel font with a shading, mutlicolor outlining) are not possible with the currently built in solution.

rock on,
Michael
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:54 pm

I can see why Ashley is hesitant to take up the plug. Just read over the development of the existing plug and you'll see its a never ending battle, with endless feature requests, and bound to break with each new browser release.

Rather than have him spend valuable time on this, perhaps it would be better to do some crowdsourcing, and find someone else to work on the plug full time? Because frankly, that's how much effort it would require.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Then we risk the same exact thing happening. 3rd party plugins are no good in my book; every single one I've ever used had some sort of problem somewhere, or were simply abandoned (not just CC/C2 either). A working bitmap font plugin is incredibly valuable so I don't see how it'd be a waste of time in any way.

Also the unicode thing is not a big deal for me, personally. I can't recall a single indie game that offers language options anyway spare AM2R and MMX:Corrupted.Tokinsom2013-06-07 15:11:09
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I have never had any problems with the existing spritefont plugin. It's also important to note that most font's have licences that restrict you from re-distributing them.
With the existing spritefont plugin you can easily have multiple languages because any character in any order can have it's own image made by you. You just set in what order each character will be read.

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>[email protected][\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyznemo2013-06-07 16:11:46
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:24 pm

It's flat-out broken as of r133 so you do now!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:43 pm

I exported from r133 and everything's working fine. I have couple of Android devices and it works perfectly on those. I can't say anything about iOS because I don't have and iPhone.

I do have quite old version of the plugin so maybe thats why it's working for me.

The only problems I get is with physics. My game started crashing after the update.nemo2013-06-07 17:44:20
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] What do Japanese games do with regards to spritefonts? I have no idea, but I would guess they just pre-render text to images, since spritefonts don't work for that language.[/QUOTE] For the american market, they use prerendered characters' sprites:

B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

@Nemo Perhaps. It seems to work if you run a layout but not the whole project.

@Ashley It would seem they use bitmap fonts for japanese the same way. There are hundreds of retro games with bitmap font dialogue in numerous languages.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Nice found California,
here's the one from Bomberman with japanese letter

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 am

If you're going for a full on Sprit Font plugin, and not a tilemap plugin with font tiles, then you also should support variable width sprite letters as well.

However I personally believe that a tilemap plugin with character mapping capabilities should come first. The current spritefont pluging kind of does that, through a string, and aligning Nth character with Nth tile (based on tile size and image zie). The characters in the string are all unicode so you can assign any letter to anything (as long as you make the tile).

I'm not trying to usurp the thread for tilemaps entirely, but static-width spritefonts are just custom tilemaps in their own right and have a larger overarching reason to be implimented (thus more reason to impliment spritefont tile assignment)

Spritefonts can be artistically modified more than a regular font/webfont could be. Since font creation tools have no central Game-Maker hub for people who would need to make one, it's easier to make your own graphical font via illustrator or photoshop as you can guarantee the outcome rather than looking through 1000 fonts and still being confused and unable to find out how to make one of your own. (Font making is pretty niche, as most people don't give it much thought)

However if you're going to need a basic font, not a graphically enhanced on, I do recommend FontStruct and Font2Web (Fontsquirrel still has issues with FontStruct). As with creating any font, you would have to create support for whatever unicode characters you will use (All fonts don't have all characters so even random webfonts may be incomplete, all the more reason to make your own webfont/spritefont)Thndr2013-06-08 00:19:13
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General