[SUGGESTION] Persistent Layouts

0 favourites
  • Persistent layouts would save all objects/instances on that layout in their current state/position when you leave that layout.

For example, if you were to create a game like dragon warrior or final fantasy on the NES. If you walk into a dungeon from the main world, that dungeon could be its own layout. If you set the dungeon layout to be persistent, when you exit the dungeon and go back to the main world, it would save the position and state of the instances in the dungeon. Then, when you go back to the dungeon everything would be as you left it.

• Would be nice.

You can use global objects for some of this.

• I think it can be done by using global variables or instance variables stored on a invisible global object, then, you restore it to each object.

But would be a nice idea, indeed, but only if not affect the performance.

• Nice idea. We're working on features that will hopefully make this possible.

• That'd be awesome.

purge

In the meantime, you could use Rex Rainbow's Sprite Bank to accomplish this. You'll likely want to use families to streamline it, but a combination of that and clever use of a global array could accomplish the same effect.

• Persistent layouts is the thing I most want to see too. I'm considering putting a lot of work into doing it, but if there's a chance construct2 will be getting that feature, I'll hold off.

...and in the meantime I'll try to send happy persistent layout vibes to the developers. ;-)

• Ashley Sorry to bump but is there any news concerning this feature?

With it you could access complex pause-menus or sub-screens contained in separate layouts, then return to the game exactly as it was (meaning you no longer have to hide pause-menus or sub-screens in invisible layers, use timescale to pause the game, nor use object time scales to keep menus and such running when time scale = 0.) That would be pretty great!

• This is on our todo list, but depends on the quicksave/quickload feature which is a fairly complicated job. I can't really give an ETA but hopefully within the next few stable releases.

• Ashley, what is this quicksave/quickload feature of which you speak?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • sqiddster - like the same from Classic. Save the entire state of the game to memory, and allow it to be loaded at any time. E.g. upon pressing F5: quicksave, upon pressing F8: quickload. Instant save system. Should also allow for saving to JSON so you can store a full-state save in WebStorage or similar.

• That would be great! Keep it up!

• Excellent! Looking forward to it.

• Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if the persistent layouts didn't save when you save game, and exit. ...if they stay persistent while a person is actually playing, that would be good enough for what I'm working on. :-)

I figure as long as I manually save the important things, no one will care if the piece of wire they left lying on the ground out in the forest disappears.

• Ah I was just wondering about this. In my case I simply want my instance variables to be persistent for each layout. So if I re-enter a room, my doors are still open and my levers are still pulled.

• Ah I was just wondering about this. In my case I simply want my instance variables to be persistent for each layout. So if I re-enter a room, my doors are still open and my levers are still pulled.

For that you can make your instance global.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)