[Suggestion] Stamp tool

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Complete the collection by purchasing Trailer Force - Cinematic Sound Effects Tool Kit Pt.2: Drones
  • The concept behind this idea is very simple. Instead of dragging objects from the toolbar, or ctrl+drag to duplicate, this tool allows pasting multiple instances of the selected object with a single click for each instance, much similar to stamping a paper multiple times.

Why? It is much faster that any of the current methods. It also allows what I call "brush based level building", which is a thing I really liked in an engine I worked with in the past. Instead of a tile-based approach, where everything MUST conform to the grid, and tiles can not be overlapped, this allows for more organic level building. Below is an example of what this method achieves. The screenshot is taken directly from a game running on that engine.

The grass part is made of multiple overlapped brushes, one for each tone. This made the terrain look very natural, and not so blocky like a tile-based approach. Putting this scene together took considerably much less time as any of my attempts to replicate the method in C2.

The last object to be placed has a greater Z index than the first, meaning Z is ordered from foreground to background.

• I like the idea

• not sure what you mean! ctrl+drag does it already .. u want a toggle tool for ctrl+drag? i never use tools not even in photoshop.. learned the shortcuts... its much faster for me.. dont have to click back on tool box and select the thing i need. i just ctrl+ or i or p ..etc

but i guess its going to be useful for some

nice sugestion.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I mean, simply, select an object, click on the layout, BAM! it is there.

click again on the layout and you place another one. no dragging, no duplicating, no copy-paste. just clicks.

• I mean, simply, select an object, click on the layout, BAM! it is there.

click again on the layout and you place another one. no dragging, no duplicating, no copy-paste. just clicks.

i guess another object tab that does that could work.. it makes sense if u need to copy paste things fast ... but then if u miss the position of 1 item wold be a pain to go back and find it to place it in the right position.

i do see the potential of the tool +1

• If you need something to copy and paste fast what about using copy and paste? ctrl+c ctrl+v i use it all the time...

• Um, the idea behind tiles is that you can't shovel on hundreds of objects and expect the game to run.

• You mean kinda how GameMaker have it what object is active it keeps placing an instance of itself where ever you click until you deselect the object. I take it.

• You mean kinda how GameMaker have it what object is active it keeps placing an instance of itself where ever you click until you deselect the object. I take it.

Finally, someone who gets it! I keep reading the most absurd things. I know about ctrl-drag and copy-paste and that has been working for ages, but it's not as simple nor as fast as clicking

The engine from where the picture was taken was showing hundreds of objects on screen, rendering only on software mode and still keeping FPS >= 30. So please don't say silly stuff like the game will not run, we're not programming for the Atari 2600 here

• Hundreds of objects on screen is not an issue for the engine. But then 10.000 per layout starts to being an issue. Probably not for the engine but for the developer.

• the point is not placing thousands of objects in a layout. you guys are focusing on the wrong point here,

WebGL effects and particle effects are not useful to all, and are also potential sources of performance loss. Should we cut those out of Construct 2 by the next release?

The point here is to make it easier to place multiple instances of a single object just by clicking on the layout.

I hope I made myself clear now. jeez...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)