Suggestion to improve loading times

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Hey there

I'm visiting the forums and website now daily, and i came across the issue that the website loading times are incredibly slow.
I live in switzerland, and i guess the webserver is located somewhere in the USA?!
However, i'm hosting multiple websites myself, which are also used all over the world.

Due the fact that people from other locations were having also bad loading times like i have now here, i have setup my website with cloudflare.

Cloudflare is really a pretty good service, they cache the most content of your website on their multiple servers placed around the globe. ( pictures etc... )

As cloudflare also offers a free service, it would be a great addition for scirra as well.
It increases loading times for the most people around the globe, while reducing bandwith of your own web server!
It even allows you to show the website with a cached offline feature in case the own web server is currently not available.
And it still works great with forums etc...

It takes only about 10 minutes to setup, since it's really easy to use.

Just a suggestion, but i think there would be a lot more users than just me happy with it 😉
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:39 pm

That implies that if cloudflare has a problem, nobody could reach the scirra website and that tom would not be able to corrzct it himself doesn t it?

And also that means transiting to a server you aren t responsible the personnal data of the account.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 pm

The chance that 30 servers go offline at the same time is below 0%
compared to the chance that scirra webserver goes down.
Next to that, the only thing you would have to change (in your worst case scenario when cloudflare goes down) you can get your website back up on your usual DNS in no time.
To sign up for CloudFlare’s CDN, you make a simple change to your authoritative DNS. Which takes less than five minutes...

The data is still being saved on the scirra webserver.
Cloudflare is just a CDN (Content Delivery Network)

I'm using it since over 2 years now and it works like a charm.
It has (on average) doubled the loading times for my visitors on the globe (according to feedback)!
- uses 60% less bandwidth
- has 65% fewer requests
- is way more secure

CloudFlare protects and accelerates the website. The web traffic will then be routed through their global network. It automatically optimizes the delivery of the web pages so the visitors get the fastest page load times and best performance. It also blocks threats and limits abusive bots and crawlers from wasting your bandwidth and server resources.

So in short:
CloudFlare-powered websites see a significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

I can't see even one negative point about it at all.
They offer most of their features for FREE.
If you pay for their service, it increases the performance even more, but is really not required.
As i've said, i'm using it since over 2 years, and i have also tested the subscription plan.

The feedback from my visitors were more than just positive.

One example of several won awards:

Wall Street Journal
CloudFlare Inc. of San Francisco took the top spot for technologies designed to improve the performance of websites, whether they are being accessed via a mobile device or a personal computer. It was CloudFlare's second win in a row in the category.

And in case you wonder...
no i don't work for cloudflare nor have i any intensions to make advertisement for them.
I just think it would be a great boost for scirra, and a big relief for my and others page loading times...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 am

Everade wrote:below 0%

WAT.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am

xD you know what i mean.
The chance is simply really low.
If one of those 30 servers has got an issue, it will simply route you to the next one near you.

It's just a suggestion thought...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

I'm still having great issues with the scirra website.

Either it's completly down due time-out
or it takes minutes to load properly.

I highly recommend to checkout CDN services.
It doesn't have to be Cloudflare, i really don't care about that.

I just want to be able to checkout the forums when i'm working on my game >_>

PS: It took about 25 seconds after pressing "Submit" to post this post.
And this was quite a fast loading time for me using scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:11 am

It has been slow in general and just barely-online throughout yesterday. Then again Scirra is probably not making all that much money from C2 and content sales to afford better hosting/CDN services... no idea, really.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 am

As i've stated above.

CloudFlare for example offers a COMPLETE FREE service.
I'm using it since over 3 years now and it works like a charm.
It has (on average) doubled the loading times for my visitors all over the globe (according to feedback)!
- uses 60%~ less bandwidth on my own webserver (according to my own statistics)
- has 65%~ fewer requests on my own webserver (according to my own statistics)
- highly reduced bots and other attacks

And it takes only minutes to setup.
It also just takes minutes to remove it again.

So it should be worth a try...
B
S
G

Return to Website Issues and Feedback