Suggestions to make C2 even more awesome

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
40 Seamless textures for tile backgrounds. High resolution 1024x1024!
  • So below is a collection of nice to have suggestions I have been jotting down. What you guys think, got any others to add. Maybe we could could help Scirra if we prioritise them, I have loosely placed them in order of what I think would be higher priority.

1. Have a system expression to convert a number into a comma/dot separated string ( 2000 -> 20,000) , with maybe settings for zero padding (i.e. 3)
    2. A debug option, with debug enable it applies a FPS counter to the top automatically (similar to CocoonJS) and say tapping this provide additionally information like (just ideas of the top of my head) : * Total Objects on screen * Total Objects in play * Average FPS since start * Numbers of Trigger listeners * Peak events called per tick * Custom Variables (i.e. states, scores, level) * Enable Hit boxes outline (for physics or for touch/click) * Enable Objects ID (attached/pinned to object)
    3. Have Wait X ticks rather than Wait X seconds, as I use quite a few wait 0.01 seconds to allow an array for example to be initialised with data, if I don?t use a wait seconds it treats it as a blank array. So would be nice to have an option for tick rather than seconds special if it?s on a device that has fps drops of 15-20 (i.e. mobile) as sometimes 0.01 second isn?t enough.
    4. Option to set on FadeIn Behaviour the amount it fades in to or out to (set the opacity amount)
    5. When scaling an object in layout editor ability to constrain the Width and Height when editing the numbers in object properties window (I know you can hold down shift, but I want to use whole numbers when scaling)
    6. On export if files included in the files folder are not made lower case and that any folder structures are kept. For example I could put my font file in the files folder to be automatically included in export with correct case.
    7. Set array data in object properties window (similar to unity3d), rather than having 20 actions to set each value on start of layout.
    8. Refresh/update images (similar to Adobes Flash image update) rather than converting to project and updating images in each of the folders which is very fiddly.
    9. Move global variables between sheets.
    10. When you search an sheet it highlights the term and pressing a shortcut (i.e. F4) navigates to next term.
    11. Ability to disable and includes like events & actions. (currently I can just delete and re-add it)
    12. Highlight/indicated unused variables/functions (very low priority but nice for cleaning up scripts)
  • I'd like to add the ability to clear unused items like sprites and sound files check box

• Have a system expression to convert a number into a comma/dot separated string ( 2000 -> 20,000) , with maybe settings for zero padding (i.e. 3)

This could be done in C2

Move global variables between sheets.

You can cut and paste global variables between event sheets. C2 will give you a great big warning that any related actions will be deleted, but they are undeleted when you paste the global variable back in. It's a really confusing prompt.

Ability to disable and includes like events & actions. (currently I can just delete and re-add it)

Do you mean the ability to disable event sheets, or the ability to disable conditions and actions? The later can be done by right clicking an action or condition and selecting Disable from the menu. If you mean the former, then yeah that would be handy.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 11 - Right-click on any event and click on toggle disabled

5 - Snap to grid and set the grid to 1,1

2 - Well , Having it on natively would be awesome but well ... For now , Use the good ol' text object

7 - You can load an array with JSON and set the JSON code to load while you play the game

cheers ...

• 2_ There is already a "FPS" system expression, as well as "objectcount".

You can set your own interface to your debug (a text object or a textbox in "text area" mode is pretty convenient too.

There are also two custom plugins "debug pannel" and "Log Text & Objects to Chrome Console" (that also does work with FireBug in FireFox) which allow you to pretty much debug any value of your choosing.

I believe a "do it all debug interface" is not viable since every game has its own specificities.

What is important though is to give tools to allow each game maker to tailor make his own debug interface, and with such plugins and the diverse system expressions already built-in, the job is done.

3_ You shouldn't use "wait 0.01" (I'm not sure it even works) and rather do your own timer based on dt.

• I should state I'm aware of almost all the work arounds for my suggestion but I don't want to use a "work arounds". These are suggestion I'd like to see but don't have any rush for them.

You can cut and paste global variables between event sheets. C2 will give you a great big warning that any related actions will be deleted, but they are undeleted when you paste the global variable back in. It's a really confusing prompt.

hh that is confusing, When it showed my actions disappear I panicked and undid :)

> Have a system expression to convert a number into a comma/dot separated string ( 2000 -> 20,000) , with maybe settings for zero padding (i.e. 3)

> url=http://www.scirra.com/forum/display-number-as-currency-with-commas_topic56968.html]This could be done in C2 know and use this plus other events for doing graphical scores. Just be a nice to have a native system expression.

Ability to disable and includes like events & actions. (currently I can just delete and re-add it) did mean the Include:Sheet event (In Events Tab Add Include). You can select it but you can't disable it, as a quick way to turn of sheets. You can quickly disable action and event with the shortcut D too.

5 - Snap to grid and set the grid to 1,1It's a nasty work around, but ta.

7 - You can load an array with JSON and set the JSON code to load while you play the gamehat's no different to just setting data in by actions/loops. Plus its fiddly to edit.

2_ There is already a "FPS" system expression, as well as "objectcount". already use ChromeConsole, its excellent and works on Windows 8 and CocoonJS which is very handy. Don't see the point of Debug Panel. I already use FPS too.

But the reason I say I would like a debug option is mostly for Object Collision HitBox (mostly for touch) and Object ID's

3_ You shouldn't use "wait 0.01" (I'm not sure it even works) and rather do your own timer based on dt.here's load of places where I have had to use "Wait 0.01" becuase the next sequence in the code is expecting something and without it, it doesn't work. Could be the way I do things as I use a lot of functions and maybe they're called before the data is set. For example I have a function called "Reset Data" that add blank entries to arrays and then calls function "Save Data" which add's array as json to webstorage. But if I don't have a wait 0.01 before "Save Data" it doesn't work. Also have another for "Load Data" that has a wait 0.01 after a Load from JSON ExtraExpressions.decode(WebStorage.LocalValue("data")), so when I set data of other arrays it works.

Guess I could try using Wait dt, but still feel and wait tick would be nicer. (I'll update my code and see how it goes)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)