Supported Windows versions?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Before I go wail on Oracle about VirtualBox not supporting Construct under virtual!Win2K, what I'd like to know is... does Construct run on Win2K anyway?

Thanks!

• No, it's only written to support XP and up. You might get it to work on 2k if you install all the things it requires, but I'm pretty sure there's some stuff it uses that's only in XP and up and not 2k (can't think off the top of my head right now). What error messages/problems do you get running on 2k?

Who uses 2k any more these days anyway?

• Ashley: School?

I make in the school a presentation about construct and use a Windows 2000 pc. * i havent admin permission. -.- *

You need the directx dll etc. and the vcredist. The vcredist work only for Windows 2000 with SP4

• Ashley: School?

I make in the school a presentation about construct and use a Windows 2000 pc. * i havent admin permission. -.- *

You need the directx dll etc. and the vcredist. The vcredist work only for Windows 2000 with SP4

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

And thanks for the clarification, Ashley.

• There might also be certain plugins and behaviors that don't support 2k. If you get the IDE working you're not away free just yet.

• Not sure if it's some VirtualBox issue or not (and I can't verify it without a physical Win2K box), but Construct 0.99.82 falls over and pops up an error message relating to malloc.

• What does it actually say?

• What does it actually say?

"The procedure entry point_aligned_malloc could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll".

This is with Construct installed (0.99.82), along with the VC runtime.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok, i have the same problem in the school.

In Google i not found a solution.

• Congratulations on being some of the last 0.5% of Windows 2000 users. Sadly supporting really old operating systems is really tough for us developers, since often useful/simple/cool features in newer operating systems aren't supported that far back. And a figure like 0.5% makes it easy enough just to say "we won't do it".

Anyways, I had a quick browse and it looks like Windows 2000 protects its copy of msvcrt.dll so the VC runtime installer won't be able to modify it. That means the VC runtime isn't properly installing that file so Construct can't run.

To fix it you basically have to circumvent security features in Windows 2000 so I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want to persevere anyway, try either:

• finding msvcrt.dll, renaming it to something like msvcrt-old.dll, and reinstalling Construct + VC runtime - if the file name doesn't exists the installer might be allowed to add the file (this might break other applications though)
    • disabling Windows File Protection (possibly opening a security hole!). See disabling Windows File Protection in Windows 2000. Again possibly a really bad idea, and only administrators can do it.

Repeating what I said earlier, we're never going to officially support Windows 2000, so even if you get round this issue, I can't keep helping you with other issues, or you might come across something you simply can't get around. This 'DLL Hell' issue was solved 9 years ago in Windows XP.

• I bring a laptop to my presentations.

Can't go about installing DX9 on campus hardware.

• Congratulations on being some of the last 0.5% of Windows 2000 users. Sadly supporting really old operating systems is really tough for us developers, since often useful/simple/cool features in newer operating systems aren't supported that far back. And a figure like 0.5% makes it easy enough just to say "we won't do it".

Windows XP is my physical Windows OS. As I prefer running Linux as my main OS, rebooting all the time just to run Construct is something I'm none too keen on doing. And having Linux as a virtual OS under Windows has its own problems - not least of which is VirtualBox not running well with my combo of XP and hardware and screwing up networking.

I only run Virtual!2K to try out old apps on and test compatibility. Really should use XP to do that properly now I guess, but my budget ain't stretching far at all right now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)