Surolace - Survival role playing space game

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Rant time, again, I hope it's acceptable that I'm blogging on this forum.

Keeping excitement and focus on game projects is difficult for me. So far C2 has been mitigating that but not entirely.

I'm still waiting on artwork for the profiles of each race, there will be lizard, cat, insect, and human races (lizard/centauri is what's in build 1.0.0.5a)

I need to rework my debris code to be UID and family based instead of location based. You WILL be able to blow up that moon, and I WILL make it look awesome. That is a very large goal, and brings me much closer to one of my milestones.

Theoretical milestones:

"The moon" - The moon will represent a full "turn" or event and serve as template to other events that will be randomly generated across maps. The milestone is follows (and is almost complete)
- Branching dialog 90% done
- Event system (spawning enemies, giving/taking resources and items, setting quest variables) 70% done
- Dialog art (races, icons etc) 70% done
- Random dialog/event assignment to interactable objects on map load if ungenerated. 0% but easy
- modal dialogs, and yes no dialogs 30% done
- make sure "persistent layout" works as I'm hoping.

Radar is another milestone that I may tackle soon, it's 0% done (I haven't even started)
- ability to turn it off
- as power in radar room grows, so does range
- sensors submodule to see info of enemy ships
- as power in radar room grows, so does range on over view star map
- in sector radar is represented by little nubbies on the edge of the screen with a descriptive icon. They fade as you are further away.

Weapons system:
- needs to be able to set each turret to a specific target and/or room, will need lots of rework 10% done
- All of the stats need to be decided on permanently 50% done
- Build production quality turrent images and ammo etc 10% done

Dialog system:
- Write my ass off

oi vey, I'm sure there are many other things. I had this great idea that after the credits roll it will begin an endless waves mode of increasingly challenging enemies until you die. I don't want to spoil what I have in store for the ending, but this will tie in to the fact that all factions want control of what you've discovered and has its roots in the creation of the universe.

I'm hoping and wishing I'll be able to lock myself in my basement this weekend and do nothing but this.

Eventually I'd like to get interns to do my community management and web dev, but we'll see. I have the money put aside, but I don't think I'm at all far enough along.
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 am

It is amazing how much time game development can suck away :)

I rewrote parts of the dialog system *again*, now buttons attached to a blurb of text can call an infinite number of functions, and all of the function names and paramaters can be set right in the c2 data editor in an easy to do way. I've basically set my self up to create a "choose your own adventure" book easily.

I added toasters! Originally I was going to display information like this in the commlink, but that is not flexible enough. By using toasters can display important information at anytime (when an enemy dies for example or an item is received).

The moon now blows up! I reworked a lot of the debris code as well so that I can blow up a variety of objects, as well as cleaned up a lot of previous code that I had written before understanding how picking worked.

I've learned a LOT about C2 in these past few weeks. As long as you work the way C2 wants you too it is extremely flexible. I can't wait to see what I accomplish tomorrow.

No push tonight, I thought it would be fun to just do a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNudg22zVDo

As always, feedback is appreciated!

B
S

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:14 am

Gave it a try on my Sony Z 1 this morning. Performance is great. Absolutely no lags.:-)

The texts are pretty tiny, but okay for a hawkeye like me:-D
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks @beaverlicious !

I've read 16px seems to be the minimum font size, but It's a little curious to me because I believe Bootstrap (web framework) defaults to 14px and is perfectly legible on mobile.

I'm still waiting on artwork before I redo my title screens and use the space interface assets. I'm envisioning a cool paralax effect between the textures as the view slides to different menu screens. My fiverr artist has one more day to produce! But since he's a fiverr artist and I have no idea what he's going to hand me, I can't start till I know :)

B
S

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:53 am

The three day weekend comes to a close and I've done about as much as I'll be able to do for now.

I've done a lot of behind the scenes type work figuring out how to best leverage arrays and dictionaries as datastructures. I've got a comfortable flow of hanging on to UIDs now. Clearly, UIDs are absolutely vital when doing anything in construct2.

I've added hull and shield bars (shield bar not yet visible, shields not implemented yet)

I've added "fountain text" that pops up on weapon impacts

I've added the beginnings of the sensors subsystem that allows you to choose enemies, target rooms, etc. so far all that you can see are two buttons that pop up in the top right. Eventually these will be used to go to submenus of each ships room list and full stats.

It took a good bit of thought to figure out how to move forward concerning storing data but I eventually decided to just sticking a dictionary of dictionaries onto every NPC. I'm going to use some tricks with tokens choose() lists to make sure I can flesh all the data out that I need right in C2.

So, here's a video [:47]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqS5dFVARV8

My little project is up to 390 events broken up into 18 event sheets!

B
S

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 am

B
S

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Say what you want about fiverr, but these are awesome and I'm going to use them with minimal changes.

http://i.imgur.com/aFi4jMn.jpg

(You'll have to click the link since the jpg is too wide)

B
S

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:15 am

I'm not sure I've mentioned it yet, but I am in love with construct2.

After getting my art assets from fiver, I was finally able to implement some of the artwork from spaceinterface that I got from @beaverlicious

Beaverlicious I'd love to hear your feedback on how I've chopped up your originals. I am not a graphic artist by any measure.

Anywhoot,

I redid the title screen from scratch, and this time i spent more time on making the splash look nice. When you click new game it does some paralax effect as it slide over to the ship selection screen. All in all, ton of progress tonight!

I pushed up to http://surolace.com/play as usually you'll need to mash ctrl+F5 to unstick it from chrome.

For those who just want a quick peak, here's the screenshots! As always, feedback welcome.

http://i.imgur.com/Yh9qhtU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HMGMODV.png

B
S

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:20 am

Haha nice man :-D It´s really funny for me to see, how people use my stuff!
I guess it works out pretty good, but I´d make the vignette a little darker so that it goes a little more in the background...personal taste :)

Keep me updated buddy, I´m highly interested in your development..

PS: The Fiverr art looks really cool btw. Pretty freaky :)
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:13 pm

@beaverlicious
When you say vignette, do you mean the shadow thing around the edges? I had to google it, and the description is kinda fuzzy.

I played with the darkness of that quite a bit, that's how I ended up with a cloud behind the word surolace (the shadow was just so dark it gobbled it up). I will play with it some more, maybe pop the logo above it, and see how it goes, thanks!

(I still plan on butchering many parts of space interface, this is just the beginning of my dastardly plans)

B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests