[Survey] Your average "developer" time in a week.

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Have a day job: No
Average time spent developing in a week: 72 hours (12 hours a day, from 12pm to 12am with a day off (Sunday) - this is essentially my day job and passion in one, so I spend as much time as I can on it!)
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm

@Fimbul I could care less what you believe. he asked i responded. Your welcome to ask my wife. An its right at 18 hrs a day and that include sales, marketing, developing, finances, etc.
[b]Andrew Donelson[b]
Nlaak Studios, LLC
https://www.nlaak.com/
[email protected]
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:26 pm

nlaakald wrote:@Fimbul I could care less what you believe. he asked i responded. Your welcome to ask my wife. An its right at 18 hrs a day and that include sales, marketing, developing, finances, etc.

So you work 18hrs every day, no weekends, with only 6 hours of sleep per day, not counting commute time?
Also, you stated that you spend 75 hours per week developing with construct 2, which is more work than everyone else in the thread spends with their full-time jobs. You also said you're the CEO and work with sales, marketing, developing, finances (which you presumably do in the remaining 47hrs of the week). You also have a wife (so either you spend zero time with her, you don't need to sleep, or she works with you).

If you truly do work these hours, stop. This is unhealthy. You're [literally] killing yourself.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:08 pm

i do, i have since october 2012, no commute, work out of the house as stated in another thread and use 5 developers out of india when i need to contract work out via oDesk. I'll back-off when I don't have to work that much to feed the family, Plus, I am passionate about it and do not want to go back to work for another company. i turn down 2-3 jobs a month. And that an average of what I do (source my project management spreadsheet) over the last 2 years. I do take some time off once in while. but I do only sleep 6 hours a day and im fine with it because I'm doing something I love and the time just flies by. Pisses the wife off most the time. Anyway I'm done with this topic, Im working on a high scores tutorial for another member.
[b]Andrew Donelson[b]
Nlaak Studios, LLC
https://www.nlaak.com/
[email protected]
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Fimbul wrote:
nlaakald wrote:Have a job yes: 122ish hrs wk
Average Time Spent developing in a week: approx 75hrs

You work almost 20hrs per day? I'm sorry I don't believe you.

I used to work 20 hours a day. You going to call be a liar too?
Top execs work these hours - I know many. Who are you to say otherwise.
@nlakald says he is a CEO/Lead Developer, that tells me that 18+ hours is completely believable.

If you are going to call someone a liar, best have supporting facts to back your accusation. Assumptions count for naught. Best to say nothing.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:06 pm

You can work 20 hours a day, but to do so consistently and without weekends is insane.
"Top execs" work a lot, sure, but they too are human and need sleep. 20hrs/day 365days/yr is unsustainable and I doubt it's even possible.

Maybe the issue is that I'm thinking "billable hours" (that is, hours you are actually working and could bill a client for them), whereas they could simply mean "hours on the job-place" (that is, hours you spend sitting in front of a computer or in an office), where you'd get something like 30~60% productivity. If you discount lunch breaks and commute time, and you work from home, the hours become intertwined with "waking hours", which are suddenly a lot more believable.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:18 pm

@Fimbul

Just accept that your comments are unacceptable, apologize, and move on.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:27 pm

No. No one consistently works 122 hours a week for years.
It's not possible unless you twist your definition of "work".

DUTOIT wrote:If you are going to call someone a liar, best have supporting facts to back your accusation. Assumptions count for naught. Best to say nothing.

Not really, I don't.

Professor Cary Cooper wrote:“If you work consistently long hours, over 45 a week every week, it will damage your health, physically and psychologically. In the UK we have the second-longest working hours in the developed world, just behind the States and we now have longer hours than Japan,” Professor Cary Cooper – Lancaster University Management School.

how about some crazy people?
Len Bosack wrote:"Sincerity begins at a little over 100 hours a week. You can probably get to 110 hours on a sustained basis, but it's hard. You have to get down to eating once a day and showering every other day, things of that sort to really get your life organized to work 110 hours."
- Len Bosack, co-founder, Cisco Systems, and hero to the hardcore

source. Sounds reasonable?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1430346/Doctor-working-crazy-hours-killed-himself.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/doctors-death-fuels-row-on-hours-1369224.html
turns out working 100 hours a week is really bad. Who knew?
Even sweatshop workers put in less than 120 hours/week
working 80-100 hours a week is really bad
You will suffer a lot of health problems
Ever heard of the japanese word "karoshi"? It means death by overwork.
Last edited by Fimbul on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Have a day job: Yes
Average time spent developing in one week: ~5 hours (changes per week)

Out of curiosity, would it be easier if you made a Google form or Survey Monkey survey for this? That would help organize your results a lot easier.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:56 pm

@Fimbul,

Reported. Your comments are unacceptable. Calling people a liar is not cool.

Edit: Google spits out whatever you put into it. Try proving people right, before proving them wrong.
Last edited by DUTOIT on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic