swearing in games ?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Well i stopped playing some games, cause i sweared to much, while playing it.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:29 pm

I probably fall somewhere in between, having spent my youth watching ZX81 and spectrums fail to load, I have no qualms about watching My teenage kids playing games with language that would make Granny's teeth curl...

Personally I throw the odd F bomb in daily speech...

But in games I do find it tacky, juvenile and contrived, rarely, even in games designed for a "mature" audience does it add any realism or immersion as it's usually saturated rather than slightly seasoned with swearing and or bad taste humour...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:02 am

I think it's a stylistic choice. For example, House of the Dead: Overkill used way too many expletives, but it's because they were imitating a certain cinematic style with it. At some points, the swearing and violence and disturbing nature of that game was "overkill" for lack of a better word, but then, that was the whole point. As a result, I loved the game, and so did many reviewers.

Other times I feel swear words are forced. Still other times I feel like their exclusion is unrealistic at best. Nothing kills immersion like playing a video game with an evil, gritty villain who never once utters a curse word. Even when heroes are injured or love interests are killed and they just shout "Darn!!!!", it just isn't realistic. People would swear, so characters should too whenever it makes sense to do so.

I would agree that swearing should be avoided unless the game calls for it though.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 am

teacherpeter wrote:Nothing kills immersion like playing a video game with an evil, gritty villain who never once utters a curse word.

You do realise that the world's first recorded murderer was allegedly a vegetarian who probably wouldn't have swore in his life. So was Hitler, and he was an animal rights activist to boot. Did Hitler ever swear? Can't be bothered checking. If you want a proper quality villain, you need to get pass the one dimension.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 am

Sure, sure, sure, I know that. And I know there are plenty of psychopaths out there saying "dagnabbit", but I'm just saying some villain archetypes that SHOULD swear often don't.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:25 am

So I think I can say that I am in the majority who find swearing more troublesome in a video game than we find violence ?

I am going to try to remember to have a hero/villain character say "dagnabbit".

Many thanks for the comments.
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 am

In my opinion games should have an option for "non-swearing" dialogs, there are usually multiple ways to say things without using "power words". Would I use this option? Most likely not, I can accept that my character will say few dirty words in moment of panic or other situations with "strong emotional state", but having an option to select different type of dialog would not hurt.

If I have to buy few apples from friendly neighbourhood kiosk, I dont really look forward hearing "have a nice ******* day, hope you enjoy those ******* apples, come again, dear ******** customer", unless game theme is balanced towards that type of humor.

About villains, they can be most evil things without using silly dirty words, sometimes lack of strong words (or extreme anger all together) can increase evil factor.

Unnecessary use of anything is most often bad decision.
B
S

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 am

True - I could not imagine Hannibal Lecter "Effin' and blinding" and as antagonist go ...
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:20 pm

To be honest I think that swearing in games offensive but unfortunately now a days is very common...
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic