Swearing in video games! !@#$%

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 am

[QUOTE]a lot of people talk nowadays, especially in the police profession[/QUOTE]

Now this is true wisdom!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Well, it's all opinion based, so here is mine:
I would study old Law and Orders or other gritty crime dramas before they allowed much swearing on TV. With good writing, you don't even notice it, at least for me.

That being said, if you are OK with swearing, I would use it sparingly, to give it more impact!

Just my opinion. You know the nature of the game and how things fit better than us
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:05 pm

You can use the ESRB ratings guide as a guideline to match language/profanity with the demographic of your intended target market.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 am

[QUOTE=nemo] [QUOTE=Mipey] You watch too many Hollywood movies.[/QUOTE]

In Hollywood it would be: You son of a ... (And explosion censoring the rest)!

Holy Sh... (And explosion censoring the rest)!

[/QUOTE]
Don't forget disguising the bad words (Will Smith talking to a guy in a orange whale costume: "You big, orange Moby Dick[/I!"), or switching scenes quite strategically at just the right moment. ("You mother..." (interrupting with new scene) "... luckier, that guy.") Swearing like that is technically innocent enough, but it can be funny if done right. Though if you do it badly, it's just embarrasing.

As for plain, old swearing, I'd try to avoid it as best I can. Just because your game is 'adult', it doesn't mean it needs swearing. Try to watch Dexter, for instance. It's all about cops and bad guys, and Dexter himself is a serial killer. Even so, there's hardly any swearing at all. And the show's all the better for it. :)

(except Debra, though. She swears like a sailor at times, but it's just ridiculous to listen to. Then again I hate both the character and the actress.)Constructinator2012-10-23 01:02:27
B

Post » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am

I now at least two "writers" of the old times that got around the "no swearing rule" in publication, and used it for their best : Herg (for Tintin) and Terry Pratchett (in Discworld).
In Tintin, Captain Haddock (at least in french) curses all the time, but in a "old fashion" way of doing it. He uses a string of old & latin words, which aren't swear words in themselves, but works well together : "Bashi-bazouk, bald-headed budgerigar!, australopithecus, amphitryon, pleasure-boat admiral, carpetseller, iconoclast, platypus, troglodyte, ectoplasm, freshwater pirates!"

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld, Foul Ole Ron, the beggar can use non-sens phrase to say things like that (fgor example : "Bugrit, millennium hand an' shrimp..." ). Pratchett got that kind of phrase by using automati combination of lyrics and chinese restaurant menues. You can get some pretty creative phrases with that !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am

Have you watched the TV series called "Suits" I think they have 1-3 swear words per episode. Perfect.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 pm

serious? there's a game to be designed and you'd worry about whether you should have swear words!

if are you making a game for toddlers (don't swear)

or teenagers (do swear)

or adults (swear but look clever about it)
B

Post » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I live in a christian home and so I am opposed to swearing and it's use in my games period. Though just because a game has some swearing doesn't mean I am not going to play it or judge overall quality just by it's dialog quality. My advice is to use it wisely (eg. The killer strikes again and the hero mutters under his breath "d---") It also depends on your audience, like someone who had grown up in a bad home or neiborhood probably doesn't notice or care if there is swearing in the games he plays. While if someone from my family were playing the same game they might stop playing or look at the game in a more negative way. Also, if your targeting adults then it carries less weight when they hear a swear word, no matter what religion or race. And then some swear words are worse than others and you'll have to take that into account to.
Casus Belli: A reason or cause for war
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

there's nothing in the bible about swearing, so that is your interpretation of what it is to be christian

i guess if you're marketing the game to the right wing christian demograph in the US, I would go with that advice, Christians in Europe really don't care
B

Post » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 am

I know whenever a game swears, my wife makes me turn the volume down or makes me wait until the kids are asleep before I can play.

Think about this:

Top grossing movies are seldom rated R in the US. If a movie says the F word about three times its a guaranteed R rating.

The video game standards are a bit backwards compared to movies. Movie ratings tolerate a number of violent scenes so long as gore and blood is kept down. Any war game with a slight pinch of blood when you kill someone in a video game seems to get it a Mature rating off the bat, which otherwise would have made a PG-13 movie.IsometricRobot2012-11-19 03:42:58
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas