switching from amd to intel...how much faster?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm

I use to like ATI but I switched to Nvidia and its much better. My old ATI would heat up quick and get crashes in games but my new Nvidia is working great and not hot at all. I like Nvidia now :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 pm

not a hardware guru by anymeans but nvidia seems to be the trend from most of the articles that i've been reading
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:47 am

Nvidia is the trend, yeah, they've been since the voodoo days ended.

However I've been a happy ATI user since I migrated from my old GeForce2.
filtering was fixed a looooong time ago and most of the shader issues were due from developers only testing in Nvidia. Same happens if you do it the other way around.

If price is not an issue, go high-end Nvidia+Intel.... if it is, go mid-range ATI+AMD, which packs more punch than its counterparts at the same price range.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Just an update, ATI has its 5xxx series out now which are the first DX11 cards on the market. They are also aggressively priced and excellent performers over a wide range of targets (5870, 5850, 5770, 5750). Nvidia currently doesn't have any DX11 cards on the market, and according to sources they might not for another couple months; originally it was supposed to be three months, but they have apparently been delayed. I am not an ATI fanboy in any regard, although this has basically been a giant bunch to Nvidia's face and it doesn't look like they have any way to retaliate just yet. I have recently changed over to an AMD system (Phenom II X3 720 O.C. to 3.2GHz (will be going 3.6 when I have a proper cooler)), and will be upgrading my 8800GT to an HD5850 in the near future.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm

I have an 8800GT too. I guess I'll switch back to ATI when I get my next computer, my 8800 tends to overheat, forcing a reboot.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:40 pm

[quote="Ashley":3c1ritk4]I have an 8800GT too. I guess I'll switch back to ATI when I get my next computer, my 8800 tends to overheat, forcing a reboot.[/quote:3c1ritk4]
Maybe cooling went down, thats what happend to my HD4850 (altho i got custom cooling).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:49 pm

My 8800GTS just died last week. Green lines appeared on the screen, game crashed, then windows crashed causing a BSOD. It was heat related because it kept shutting down and the driver kept crashing. The card was HOT to the touch.

As for the AMD to Intel thing. Your going to notice a big difference if your upgrading from older hardware. Even with AMD's top of the line hardware, it wont equal an Intel. But that's not what AMD aims for. They also have considerably less money then the Juggernaut that is Intel. They aim to please the user that wants the most bang for the buck. I just upgraded from an Athlon-64 5600X2, to a PhenomII 955. Huge difference in performance.

Also one more thing to worry about, Intel has teh habit of changing sockets every 6 months or so. Great example with the i7's. Intel has just released a bunch of i5's that use a new socket because these new chips do away with the Northbridge on the motherboard. The Northbridge controls a lot of your computers IO functions, even the PCI-E card socket, moving this to the chip will improve performance in the long run, but not yet. What I'm getting at is the early adopters of the i7 thought they could upgrade the processor more then once, they have quickly found out, they cannot, in true Intel fashion.
B
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic