Switching from GM - big projects in construct?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Well, Kaelis, maybe Construct just isn't for you. Maybe one day in future there'll be a full scripting engine, but I don't think it's going to go much further than an extension to the event sheet editor for some time. I don't really want to spend time making a scripting tool, as I've said before - it's been done to death and I think if you want to program a game, you'll get a lot more out of something like C++ with a good game library anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, but I think we're looking for different things here :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:07 pm

[quote="Ashley":ano2dflf]Maybe one day in future there'll be a full scripting engine, but I don't think it's going to go much further than an extension to the event sheet editor for some time.[/quote:ano2dflf]
I wouldnt really need such 'advanced' scripting - just a way to write actions for events with actual code instead of putting them together with dialogs.

[quote="Ashley":ano2dflf]Thanks for the feedback, but I think we're looking for different things here :)[/quote:ano2dflf]
Well, this wasnt really feedback per se, just me desperately trying to find a solution to my woes :) I am aware that full scripting engine would be too much to ask for.

I guess ill just lurk around, following Constructs development, especially since it looks like the current model of Python scripting should provide a lot of what i need, providing that all actions normally available through the event system are exposed to python as well (plus the ability to refer to specific instances).

In any case, thank you for your responses, and i wish you luck with the development of Construct.
B
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:06 am

give the event sheet a chance, its not really blocky, and although it reminds you of game maker's shitty event editor, you'll find its much more develloped. you can do alot more than you think once you get the hang of it, heck i can't think of one complex thing that ive though about that i couldnt do using the event editor. before saying construct isnt the tool for you, give it a good try.

game maker is absolutley horrible from when i tryed it, i actually prefer klik and play to it. ive never really scripted, but from what ive read and seen, its alot more mork to set up all those brackets and variables, than it is to simply create a new event, and create an action. dont think of the event editor as a limiting feature it really isnt, it'll save you alot of time, you just have to learn to use it properly.

oh yah, the sprite editing and importing sucks in GM, its sooo slow.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:11 am

I'd agree with the above; give it a shot first. Note that you can do things like for/while loops, OR, ELSE, sub-events (representing scope), functions (using the function object), private variables, global variables, etc.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion