Switching game engines/software.

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm

[quote="alee":2imo2har]Every time you save, put a new number on the end, eg.
v1.cap
v2.cap
v3.cap

This is what I do with every program (construct, photoshop, cubase). It's the only way to work if you're doing a serious project.

I made this infinite space game in 2 weeks in construct ;)
http://edenofficial.com/?p=33
Just a beta showing procedural galaxy generation.[/quote:2imo2har]

i cannot belive what i see. i downloaded your demo. now i am thinking how the heck i can mimic it.
procedural generated galaxy? thats something i never though of when making HiddenSpace. not because i didnt know it, but because i always though its something totaly out of my reach.

i have soo many questions now and at the same time, i feel so small and misrable.
How you managed to make the background multilayered?(drifting stars infront and in back)
What technique you used to get such a beautifull planets sprites? (so far i just used photoshop + texture, save it as image and then import)
where didi you get that nice spaceship?
where/how you added physics?
how you managed to make it so the sun move on diffrent layer then the planets?(giving that nice feeling of depth)

and where the heck i should start in order to create my own things like this!?

are capabilities of Consructor really that huge? how much knowledge(programing,coding ect) do i have to possses in order to create such gems?

i am just nailed to the ground really.
Of course i would kill for my game to look like this and have such features but... i am soo afraid to belive i am able to learn how to make all this.
I mean, thats why ive chosed to make old style, low res, "retro" space sim. not only because of the atmosphear but mostly because of my lack of skills.
I mean, everybody would love for their games to look like Crisis right? but any sane person will know thats something out of their league.
i look the same way up at your creation. its incredible, but dont think i can learn how to make similiar creations. or maybe i am wrong and Contructor is THAT easy?
please answear, i dont want to let my hopes and hipe go to high.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

okey sorry for doubble posting but seriously - holy crap. after researching your game i literaly cant close my jaws.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Construct can easily do that,maybe after 6 month of training you will be good to go. :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm

[quote="thoughtzone":n98q9117]Construct can easily do that,maybe after 6 month of training you will be good to go. :D[/quote:n98q9117]
*stabs himself in eyes*
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 am

I personal think that it would even take longer then that. But! You should start trying to make the game. For me I learn easier if I just dive in and start working. And when i hit a wall and I cant figure it out my self I ask.

I just started using construct last month and I have a pretty good start going. The more I work on my game the more I learn. The more I learn the more easy I find construct to be. I learn new ways to do the things I been doing just by looking around here on the forum.

The first thing I did when I found construct was find out if it met my needs. After that I downloaded it and started on the tutorials.

But that's just me. I don't know how you learn best but that would be the way to start. Just start out making the ship and having it fly around then from there maybe move into more detail on the ship like walking around. Or start on a planet. Things like that.

I think that alot of people here are "still" learning how to do stuff with construct and how to do that even easier and faster. And don't be afraid to ask questions once you get in it.

Anyways hope that helps a little.
B
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 am

half a year for learning...? thats awful :(
i dont have that much time. i wish i had but even so - my attention span is simple to small.
ive mastered RPVX in exactly half of that time. shame. looks like i am stuck for now, with what i have.
maybe the next game i will make in Constructor.
i mean, come on - in half a year i could just learn C++.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 am

[quote:7z46xb93]i mean, come on - in half a year i could just learn C++.[/quote:7z46xb93]
lol, are you kidding? making a game(that too a complex one) using C++ in 6 months. That's not possible unless you giveup your day's job and night's sleep. In 6 months, you'll basically just get down with the basics of C++. I am learning C++ for over an year in school and all I've learnt is working with the CUI(only text, no graphics)

Half an year time is the average time it'll take to learn any engine, be it unity, construct or game maker unless you are realllllly passionate about your game. Although i know that construct would be your best choice if you want to start quick. Just try it for an week or two and then decide whether you should use it or not. Other's opinions about how easy a game engine can really be biased since everybody took different amount of time to learn it. So at last, it's you who would decide how eay an engine is.

PS It's called 'construct' not 'constructor' :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 am

[quote="abhilash2863":1bwp66s5][quote:1bwp66s5]i mean, come on - in half a year i could just learn C++.[/quote:1bwp66s5]
lol, are you kidding? making a game(that too a complex one) using C++ in 6 months. That's not possible unless you giveup your day's job and night's sleep. In 6 months, you'll basically just get down with the basics of C++. I am learning C++ for over an year in school and all I've learnt is working with the CUI(only text, no graphics)

Half an year time is the average time it'll take to learn any engine, be it unity, construct or game maker unless you are realllllly passionate about your game. Although i know that construct would be your best choice if you want to start quick. Just try it for an week or two and then decide whether you should use it or not. Other's opinions about how easy a game engine can really be biased since everybody took different amount of time to learn it. So at last, it's you who would decide how eay an engine is.

PS It's called 'construct' not 'constructor' :wink:[/quote:1bwp66s5]

before anything else i need to say i am not here to bash Constructor (i am simply not in position to do so) or do advertise RPVX (as even with all his great pros the number of its cons is just a horror).

now back to the topic.
Learning any open-source or comersial engine needs a solid base. even if the support is great you still need to have much of your own knowledge. the thing i expected from Construct(sorry for my mistake about the name) is that i will NOT need to have that base knowledge. Just as i had none with RPVX.
Also the learning of something well known (C++) is much easier then learning the opossite (Construct). A buddy of my payed for a 4 months long C++ studies. 8h per day, 5 days in week. and that bastard creates his games now. And he was just as much brain dead as i am. But he had the time and money.

And i must disagree about the game creating when using 2nd party programs. With RPVX i didnt need ANY knowledge to start making games. everything was and still is very readble, logical and "natural". Ive instaled the softwere, started it, and made games. This was very importand and stimulating as with people of short attention span you need small rewards on the way, betwen short amount of time. 2 days ago ive started Construct, didnt know what is where. the only thing ive figured after those 2 days is how to make a player, how to move him and rotate him.
and thats all. in RPVX in the other hand, after 2 days i had a working finished game.

as i stated at the very begining. my friend, i am nothing but just a plain gamer. i dont make games. i not planing to make any more games then this one. i dont want any more knowledge then i it is absolutly nessesary. from simple reason - i will not be using this knowledge in my future.
in RPVX i could just pick up the program and right from the bat product content and games, learning in the process. with Construct it is diffrent.
Listen, i know its open source. i know its for free. but the problem is the same like with .blender. .blender is possibly the most powerfull 3D modelling and animating softwere in known galaxy. but go ahead and try to mame a simple "car" model in it. i couldnt after 5 days.
as i gamer i must say "i dont want to learn - i want to play".
if you dont belive me, track down RPG Maker VX and try it out yourself. then you will propably understand what i am talking about.
RPVX is very limited and non-flexible. but even a 10 years old kid can make a game with it.
Construct has almost no limits from what i see but still is 10 times more complicated then RPVX.

thats why i have such a hard time here.
my current engine (RPVX) limits drives me insane, but i can afford months of learning limitless Construct.
so i am screwed.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am

LOL!
I love your enthusiasm and your wall of texts, irbis!
*edit* no sarcasm here!

Here's my suggestion:

No need to *stab your eyes* right now! :P Just grab Construct and play with it. While I think 6 months is a nice estimative, it really depends on your skills and your available time everyday.

Since your game is planned to have different sections, I guess you should begin with the easiest one (I'm thinking the platform / spaceship walking, as it has a behavior just for that). Make a small version of every feature you wish in this game's section, don't focus on details. Then proceed to the next on.

I think Construct is more than capable of handling a game like yours, it's just a matter of planning.
Cheers! And good luck!
If you need any help or feedback, we'll be here :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:10 am

Effort produces results.

Alee had to make that procedural galaxy in several engines over more than a year to get it where it is now. I definitely saw Eden over a year ago on another engine, I forget which one. I've been working on Void Runner for well over three years in Construct, in Game Maker, in OGRE, in Unity, and I DO know how to program in C++ already. I use C++ plugins developed alongside Construct to work on my game, because I know the effort is worth it. I've been learning how to program since I was thirteen, over ten years ago, and I still move slow. Game development isn't a quick fix, it's a long journey.

If you don't think the effort is worth it, then don't do it.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic