Take the time to learn C2.

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:27 am

I couldn't agree more to the OP!

But this:
[QUOTE=Excal]But as others have pointed out, the problem is twofold: newbies don't want to take the time to learn, and those who do help tend to solve the problem and not explain how it was solved.

If you explain how something is solved to me, I might have follow-up questions that expand on the method you used and how it might apply to other situations. This helps me understand your solution and be able to apply it to more than one project.[/QUOTE] is also very true. And it is the reason why I try to explain a lot and give background information, which others might find "too much text to read". I did this already on the CC forums and do it here, because I refuse to accept that anyone does NOT want to learn.

And I commend the following to any starters with C2:
[QUOTE=DUTOIT]But boy is it fun to get something right, then make it better, more efficient, and streamlined. Building something that works is PURE JOY![/QUOTE] This feeling doesn't go away, even after decades of developing. And trust me, even the most talented programmers, with experiences we can only dream of, will feel the same. Just ask Ashley, I'm sure he'll confirm.

But that's a feeling you would never feel, if not learning, but just using premade solutions from others without understanding them.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 am

[QUOTE=tulamide]
But that's a feeling you would never feel, if not learning, but just using premade solutions from others without understanding them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Its great to start of with some basic examples, but growth comes when you grow those basics into fully functional, multidimensional, projects.
No project is alike, though they are similiar in many areas -
It is the 'unique' that separates them. Which is what beginners don't understand, they seek it do what y does, without making their baby a y+Z. They forget about the [Z]AP! I'm special because... principle.

Worst still, they want you to make it for them - lol.
DUTOIT2013-09-18 10:42:14
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 am

Too many people come on here now and say I need help to make this entire game. They are expecting a .capx with it made and they have no knowledge of C2 or want to gain any knowledge of the software.

Also related to learning C2, I like the idea of the C2 in Education section on the site. Kinda makes me want to become a teacher and run a small game creation class based around C2 use.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:01 am

[QUOTE=DUTOIT]
Excal: I am learning via your learning :) You made your learning a community project - very cool. Tons of inputs from various minds. A peek over my should type deal.
[/QUOTE]

I think sharing of code is why the open source movement is so strong in the first place. It's a great way to learn. A lot of questions people ask in this forum are already implemented in various projects already, but most people aren't willing to share their .capx for numerous reasons that I understand.

For those curious, this is my open source project. I'm glad it has helped you, @DUTOIT, and I hope it can help others!
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 pm

I too started with a bit of understanding already in place, having worked through "Basic" history. C64 basic to AMOS (Amiga) to Visual Basic on PC.
(plus a dozen other scripting "languages")

So I got the flow of Construct2 quicker than when I made the move to VB with it's event driven code. (Sort of like triggers in Construct2.)

I don't want to suggest newcomers all start making Flow Charts, (I've never found them useful.) But the first lesson should be grasping the concept of organizing the game to do and handle everything needed without ending up with unmanageable spaghetti code too complicated to finish.

There are good tutorials, Kittiewan's match game tutorial was the first I used. A bit advanced, but it was closest to the puzzle game I had in mind. (Pucked)

Another good one is Kyatric's "Asteroid clone in less than 100 events" he covers the planning and thought processes very well.

So for a list of progression, I'd say do the Beginner's guide, then start looking for tutorials that are similar to what you want to make.

Trying to get through a tutorial you don't have any interest in, will make it more like "work," and it should always be fun.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:45 pm

I think the OP is good advice. Basically, it's fine to ask occasional questions. But if you rely exclusively on asking questions and being told the answer to get things done, that will actually hinder you in the long run, compared to spending some time learning how the basic mechanics of C2 work.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm

[QUOTE=ArcadEd] Weird, I could have swore there was a post on here I was responding too.

Anyway, it must have been deleted, but I will post anyway :).

No, I did not mean don't ask questions. Of course not. I spend tons of time on here answering questions because I enjoy doing it. 90 percent of my posts are being helpful, and that is how I try to inspire new users. What I am saying is many of the new users come on these forums without ever looking at the manual, or going through the tutorials. You sir, are obviously not one of those people.

I am in no way trying to put myself on a pedestal. What I am simply trying to do is get through to people that it's much easier to get help and understand the help given if you actually understand a bit more of how Construct 2 works.

Sorry if I came off as arrogant and all "High and Mighty." Not my intention at all, but I had a feeling some might feel that way. I apologize. [/QUOTE]

ArcadEd, it was probably my post you were responding too, but I deleted it. After re-reading it, it sounded too argumentative which wasn't my intent.

I had stated there were areas where certain people excel at, and other areas where they're not so good. For myself, I've been a professional software developer for over 25+ years, but there were areas I just wasn't as good at. For example, I excel at business logic, DLLs, and services but I'm horrible at UI stuff. I've read manuals and books galore, but there are certain elements of UI design that just doesn't click with me. (MVVM anyone?)

So just because a question may seem simple, or even covered in the manual, it just may not click with them.

And there are some things that re not covered in the manual as well as it could be. It will describe what certain settings accept, or what they influenece, but not so much on how to actually use it in a real world practical example.

The beginning tutorials are a bit tough because they may be for something that has no pertinence to the reader. For example, I never read nor did the top down shooter tutorial because I have zero desire to create a top down shooter. There were probably other gems or nuggets of information I could've used elsewhere, but had no interest in reading it or even following it because I will most likely never create a top down shooter.

Either way, I agree with reading the manual and experimenting. I just wanted you and others in this post that all people are different and learn in different ways.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 pm

I agree with you man, 100 percent. Like I said, I have no issues with any questions if something doesn't make sense. My original post was not meant for users like you. It's meant for the people that come in here and basically just want a hand me out of how to make a certain game. If you don't want to take the time to try and understand how C2 works, then you are just going to struggle when adding to your game or when someone doesn't have answer for you.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:06 pm

@wizaerd

Nice write up, and I agree with you - we all have strong areas, and weak areas. I have a very long list of short comings, but that is why we support each other.

I also believe we are all in agreement that the type of individual we are talking about is the guy who hasn't even bothered to read 1 page of the manual. For example you have read over 50 pages (I can see by your profile), that is awesome.

I tried to help a guy the other day, and he just kept demanding that I give him a capx of what he was after. I wrote a simple capx for him, but he demanded more and more and more.
What he wanted was a number of hours work.
Checking his profile he had read only 10 pages of the manual.
Anyways, that's the guy I imagine we are talking about here
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 pm

@DUTOIT

I think I saw that thread, and I was flabbergasted at the way that guy asked and/or responded...

I always feel kinda guilty when I post a question, because I always wonder to myself on wether I've done all I can to research and/or experiment the issue. Probably just a failing of my own. I tend to get a bit defensive even when it's not warranted.

All in all I've received great help here, and I certainly hope I don't ever ask the type of questions outlined here... But I certainly see they types of questions you mean, and I just shake my head in disbelief.

BTW, anyone want to write a grenade throwing event for me, I can't be botherd with it... Just kidding, calm down... heh heh heh
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?