Take the time to learn C2.

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 pm

@DUTOIT

I think I saw that thread, and I was flabbergasted at the way that guy asked and/or responded...

I always feel kinda guilty when I post a question, because I always wonder to myself on wether I've done all I can to research and/or experiment the issue. Probably just a failing of my own. I tend to get a bit defensive even when it's not warranted.

All in all I've received great help here, and I certainly hope I don't ever ask the type of questions outlined here... But I certainly see they types of questions you mean, and I just shake my head in disbelief.

BTW, anyone want to write a grenade throwing event for me, I can't be botherd with it... Just kidding, calm down... heh heh heh
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Don't take me wrong but ... It's always fun to see people ask for a full game and get deceived by the lack of responses , these types of posts make my day
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:13 am

[QUOTE=ArcadEd]Dont expect to learn by constantly asking for help with different areas of your game.
[/QUOTE]

Although I understand the frustration of facing the same questions everyday, I respectfully disagree. I don't think it's helpful or kind to discourage people from asking questions when they are stuck. That's how we learn and progress. Even if the question is basic, all the person might need is some clarification or to have the instruction reworded.

I think we should keep in mind that everyone learns differently. Kinesthetic learners need hands on experience to learn a concept well and providing a sample .capx for them to experiment with and deconstruct might be the best option. It's not always a case of someone being lazy and wanting others to do the work for them.

If newbie questions like the ones you refer to bother you, wouldn't it be easier to simply ignore those comment threads and leave them for someone who doesn't mind helping those people out?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:43 am

I apologized later in the thread and tried to better explain what I meant. When you just highlight that one sentence it looks pretty ugly :).

What I meant in that sentence is; Don't expect to learn if you are asking for CODE for EVERY aspect of your game.

I'll edit my post to make that clear.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:19 am

[QUOTE=Sebastian] [QUOTE=ArcadEd]Dont expect to learn by constantly asking for help with different areas of your game.
[/QUOTE]

Although I understand the frustration of facing the same questions everyday, I respectfully disagree. I don't think it's helpful or kind to discourage people from asking questions when they are stuck. That's how we learn and progress. Even if the question is basic, all the person might need is some clarification or to have the instruction reworded.

I think we should keep in mind that everyone learns differently. Kinesthetic learners need hands on experience to learn a concept well and providing a sample .capx for them to experiment with and deconstruct might be the best option. It's not always a case of someone being lazy and wanting others to do the work for them.

If newbie questions like the ones you refer to bother you, wouldn't it be easier to simply ignore those comment threads and leave them for someone who doesn't mind helping those people out?[/QUOTE]

I think if you read this thread, you'll understand the frustration
http://www.scirra.com/forum/spiderman-movement_topic75945.html

Someone asks a question, responses are attempted, and the OP becomes aggressive and name calling ensues. Insults are given as a way of thanking people for attempting to answer. After reading that thread, and the ingratious attitude of the topic creator, I completely understand why this post was created.

True, not everyone is that, but if you read enough posts and threads, you'll see that there is a specific pattern of people asking for things that are indeed easily explained in the manual and in the tutorials.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:31 am

[QUOTE=wizaerd]

I think if you read this thread, you'll understand the frustration
http://www.scirra.com/forum/spiderman-movement_topic75945.html
[/QUOTE]

The poster in the above mentioned post has edited his post(s) so much, that the thread itself isn't what it used to be.

Anyways, he got what he wanted in the end. I just hope he thanks @SysDiman for the absolutely fantastic demo he did.

Edit:
Just added which post I was talking about, in case of confusion.

DUTOIT2013-09-19 07:54:28
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am

@ArcadED
Is what you are saying is that you don't mind newbies asking questions, so long as they put some effort of their own into it? If that is what you meant, I agree with you, and I apologize for my misunderstanding.

@wizaerd
Thank you for sharing the link. I believe I understand the reasoning behind ArcadEd's post now. I don't think I could bring myself to help someone if they were insulting. It was nice for SysDiman to help him out anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:33 am

Pin this.
HARMLESS SIGNATURE THAT IS VIEWED BY OTHERS AS OFFENSIVE AND CONTROVERSIAL
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:25 pm

@Sebastian - Yes, and thank you.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:07 pm

yikes. I remember once earlier this year. Some 1 to 10 post count individual. ok ok, just a low rep. Came on asking for help. I remember a few people including myself offering a text break down of the events.

The individual pretty much said we were of no help and asked for a capx. the thing was the request for what he was asking for was very simple. others posted. he said that was of no help and demanded a capx. I think someone finally offered a capx, but the behaviour occurred again until the user just left the site.

It was terrible. That's pretty much target behaviour I think that the OP is getting at. Questions are awesome as they offer a rethought for older developers to re-examine the situation. sometimes figuring a way to explain something helps define and find new ways to implement.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?