Taking a break from Construct ...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I am playing with Unity and Playmaker right now as well. I'm already using 3d in c2, just pre-rendered. Having a full 3d engine would open up the types of games I could make.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Good luck for you with your future projects. :)

Also, I want to ask a question for those who used UE4 and Unity + Playmaker: Which one is more easy to get into and use: blueprints or Playmaker?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 pm

glerikud wrote:Good luck for you with your future projects. :)

Also, I want to ask a question for those who used UE4 and Unity + Playmaker: Which one is more easy to get into and use: blueprints or Playmaker?

I recently watched official tutorial series and few more random official advanced tutorial videos about blueprint, and although it allows for more complexity then c2, logic is really simple! The thing I've noticed is that there is a very long list of actions which need to be remembered to be efficient with it. I don't have time yet to start practicing it, but it is something I might start learning in the future.

It also have a lot of convenient elements, I've been talking about on this forum to implement in c2. You don't need to constantly create new events and variables from different tabs - you create logic node by node, because nodes have shortcuts to elements that can be used at and with particular node. Same goes for objects: they can show actions and conditions that can go only with their type. And if you need something different then you can look trough list of conditions, actions and variables. In terms of variables thought, it has 6 types if I remember correctly. So here construct wins.

Also there is number actions that allow for creating better gameplay. Stuff like delay, that lets you delay next node by number of seconds! And it all works with triggers! Wait doesn't work with triggers in c2. And to create delay, you need to build your own set of events first, and sometimes you can confuse yourself. That is the kind of stuff is what I was asking for in my topic "3cents about c2 and c3", additional actions that have certain functions, but I always hear "you can do it with events" answer from Ashley, which is fair, but in reality it is pain in the ass, and I don't think that implementing actions like this would be much of work, and they would be very helpful.

So will be definitely looking in the future in to blueprint. Thought I hope c3 will turn up better.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 pm

UE4 blueprints are really easy to comprehend (after spending some years in C2 and CC). All you need to know is to learn a different workflow of the engine like GameMode, PlayerController, PlayerCharacter etc. It took me just about a week to learn how it works and to make a simple 3d adventure game system that have doors, rooms, transitions, player interactions, camera system... UE4 is stupid easy in comparison to Unity+Playmaker. To do exactly same thing in Unity with playmaker... i gave up after 2 weeks.

Like @megatronx said, there's a lot of neat stuff exposed in blueprint nodes: timelines, delays, custom events, literally hundreds of different types variables (I really don't like in C2 that I can't make an array variable or simple vector2 variable to store XY - instead you need to make 2 separate number variables sic!).
And everything have build in help infos and tooltips, so there's no need to dig through the help online.

One thing that can be overwhelming is UE4 editor itselfs, there are a lot of buttons, options, parameters, options in options, parameters in parameters :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:49 pm

shinkan wrote:UE4 blueprints are really easy to comprehend (after spending some years in C2 and CC). All you need to know is to learn a different workflow of the engine like GameMode, PlayerController, PlayerCharacter etc. It took me just about a week to learn how it works and to make a simple 3d adventure game system that have doors, rooms, transitions, player interactions, camera system... UE4 is stupid easy in comparison to Unity+Playmaker. To do exactly same thing in Unity with playmaker... i gave up after 2 weeks.

Like @megatronx said, there's a lot of neat stuff exposed in blueprint nodes: timelines, delays, custom events, literally hundreds of different types variables (I really don't like in C2 that I can't make an array variable or simple vector2 variable to store XY - instead you need to make 2 separate number variables sic!).
And everything have build in help infos and tooltips, so there's no need to dig through the help online.

One thing that can be overwhelming is UE4 editor itselfs, there are a lot of buttons, options, parameters, options in options, parameters in parameters :)

Wow, so you think UE4 is easier to use than Unity+Playmaker? I should have a look at it then. I always figured it would be harder, so I never really looked at it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:26 am

DrewMelton wrote:
shinkan wrote:UE4 blueprints are really easy to comprehend (after spending some years in C2 and CC). All you need to know is to learn a different workflow of the engine like GameMode, PlayerController, PlayerCharacter etc. It took me just about a week to learn how it works and to make a simple 3d adventure game system that have doors, rooms, transitions, player interactions, camera system... UE4 is stupid easy in comparison to Unity+Playmaker. To do exactly same thing in Unity with playmaker... i gave up after 2 weeks.

Wow, so you think UE4 is easier to use than Unity+Playmaker? I should have a look at it then. I always figured it would be harder, so I never really looked at it.

At least for me :D
UE4 blueprint nodes speaks to me better and they are managed and maintain by people from UE4 who constantly makes them better and faster. They are although 10-12 times slower than pure C+ but I'm just learning and not doing another AAA game (which in most cases they should be called BDB games - Beta Dollars Bugs xD) so i don't mind.
But i hope they will soon figure it out (which are doing all the time) how to remove VM from blueprints and then it will be the same speed as C+ :)
Not to discouraged or anything, you can still make games with it ;)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:47 am

That's interesting. I've gotten pretty good with C2, so anything that operates on a similar kind of terminology shouldn't be too hard for me to pick up.

I've been following some tutorials on Playmaker and have done some quick tests, but I'm not committed yet. I want to choose to the engine that will get me the best results. I've already got a working prototype made in C2, though I may deviate slightly in how it controls (like 3rd person controls instead of point and click). But I haven't decided on any of that yet. Right now, I'm just playing with the engines to see if I feel like I could do it.

Since UE4 is free, I may give it a download and try it out.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:56 am

glerikud wrote:Good luck for you with your future projects. :)

Blueprints (UE4) are very great stuff! I will not say its easy to handle it, but blueprints are easyer then coding in my opinion and there are many great tutorials on youtube. The problem is: When a complex programm is very intuitive its often a harder start to understand the logic and the learncurve at the beginning is a bit hard for the most people and then they give up!

The next is that you can't with the engines alone make all and must learned other complex programms too. I have learned using blender for 3d-Models, make Trees, animations with (face)rigging.... etc. It cost 0$! The beginning-Tutorials (buyed learn-dvd) have cost 16 hours + training for the ground-functions (from movment in 3d space to complex making animations) Everytime there are coming 1000s of stoppings in the workflow in a project with things that i have not plan (hair, roads, rain, fire, water). Its a long way with 100(0)s of hours to manage this. But i promise you: When you go this long way the feeling on work with the new 3d engines get better and better in the learning-time.

But yeah, i think its the future! Before i started with this ihave learned with c2 many visual scirpting logic and planed making 2 or 3 games in 2d before i started with 3d-engines, but the bad ends comes with the exportfunctions from c2 after i have make graphics, music, design-scirpts.... :( now i will finished my last project with c2 and when the export-problem is not managed i will used in the future only UE4!

The next is outsourcing: When you make a bigger 3d world you need a big groundbase of textures, sound (wind, rain, birds etc.) it cost many time to collect it in the net or you must spend money for dvd-packs. alone for searching and testing for "human-modelling" programs i have spend many weeks with different programs to found the best for me..... yeah long way but i think every people that are big motivated to make games & with normal IQ can handle it with the new generation of engines! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:14 am

shinkan wrote:
DrewMelton wrote:

At least for me :D
UE4 blueprint nodes speaks to me better and they are managed and maintain by people from UE4 who constantly makes them better and faster. They are although 10-12 times slower than pure C+ but I'm just learning and not doing another AAA game (which in most cases they should be called BDB games - Beta Dollars Bugs xD) so i don't mind.
But i hope they will soon figure it out (which are doing all the time) how to remove VM from blueprints and then it will be the same speed as C+ :)
Not to discouraged or anything, you can still make games with it ;)

Othink it's fast enough to make an indie games. Super tight action games are rather domain of bigger studios.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:44 am

I didn't know Blueprint has such a high overhead, 10x slower than pure C+ is worse than javascript/html5 with a good JIT engine?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General