Taking Suggestions for Bitmapped Font object

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:39 pm

This is awesome work so far :D. Very nice job.

I can't figure out what the newline character is, though. It looks like two pipes in the edit box to me, but when I type two pipes nothing happens.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="deadeye":2vfqqx9g]This is awesome work so far :D. Very nice job.

I can't figure out what the newline character is, though. It looks like two pipes in the edit box to me, but when I type two pipes nothing happens.[/quote:2vfqqx9g]

thanks
I can't figure out the newline character either
in construct it's just "newline" (without the quotes)
I'm not sure about the editbox object though
when the rest of the plugin is totally working
I'm going to add editbox functionality anyway, so you can let people type in their names for games and such, without having an invisible edit box
also, so you can limit it to a certain number of characters, and such

also, for those of you just joining us:

[size=150:2vfqqx9g][u:2vfqqx9g][color=#FF4000:2vfqqx9g]click here to try it so far![/color:2vfqqx9g][/u:2vfqqx9g][/size:2vfqqx9g]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:30 am

YOU THA MAN!!!

about unicode typing: my keyboard just has them keys O_O
however, a catch: I'm not sure if the construct-provided text-field reads unicode or it uses latin-1.
Any text file with characters outside ASCII can be turned into unicode with notepad. Just Save As... Unicode (little endian) or Unicode Big Endian.
Don't mess with UTF-8, it's difficult and has variable character width. It's mainly used for compatibility with legacy ASCII libraries or to reduce memory footprint. It's good for storage but bad for runtime.

Edit: action to override spacing with kerning is fine I guess... one could always loop and load offsets from a file manually.
Is there a baseline?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 pm

latin-1 is a macintosh based encoding, construct probably uses UTF-8 if it supports unicode

I suggested UTF8 for the specific purpose that ASCII is by far the most commonly used encoding or character set being used for text blitting purposes, and therefore it would defeat the purpose of a text blitter to force double-byte unicode. UTF-8 solves this by being backwards compatible with ASCII.

It shouldn't be that much harder to implement UTF-8 than it would be to implement UTF-16. A few bits in each byte of UTF-8 are reserved for character control which would allow you to properly map them to an extended graphical glyph set should you choose, which is what we'd want for input that would require (for example) displaying Japanese or another language with a non-roman character set. See here for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Description
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:39 pm

thanks for all the support guys
beta tonight come hell or high water
It'll be a new thread, cuz I'm sure plenty of people stopped checking up here
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Finally lucid!