Teaching Construct 2 vs Scratch

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:17 am

Hasan999 wrote:However, since this topic was about comparing it with Scratch... let me re-emphasize that (for a kid or beginner), advancing from Scratch-like Programming to any Syntax based programming (like Python/C) would be far easier and relate-able, than jumping from C2 to a syntax based programming <-- simply because of the flow of programming structure. Don't get me wrong, C2 will definitely develop/boost algorithmic thinking, and so will Scratch.. but both have slightly different applications and learning outcomes.

Well, yes. I have to agree with you. Scratch indeed prepares them better for syntax based programming. The question is what you'll want to teach to your students and what are the school's priorities? How do you find, does Scratch's interface inspire your students?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:08 pm

glerikud wrote:does Scratch's interface inspire your students?

Excluding the age group 5 to 6, we have to agree: everyone hates the Orange Kitty!

Well, at least they updated it to make the UI background as "White". It was way too dull before.

I don't think the interface inspire students, it is the output that inspire them. When they "do" something in programming and it "works".. that's when they get inspired and excited. And when they do something and it doesn't work, that's when they troubleshoot and learn.

I would personally go for Scratch if I have to teach them programming. I would go for C2 if it is a "Game Development" class.

It more depends on the 'Instructor' to make it interested or boring, lesser depends on the software.
B
S

Post » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:18 am

Hasan999 wrote:It more depends on the 'Instructor' to make it interested or boring, lesser depends on the software.

So true. :) Thanks for the feedback.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Education and Construct 2