Teaching game dev using C2

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • I'm betting a lot that HTML5 will take off and one day overtake flash. I release all plugins I make for c2 to try to give back to the community and make ashley's work a bit lighter. I really want this to succeed.

Recently I paused plugin/behavior development because I am planning to teaching some courses on game development using HTML 5, and that means Construct 2 - it's obviously a great opportunity for all involved: my students learn a good tool and get ready for when the market starts demanding professionals that work with HTML 5, Scirra gets some extra purchases from word of mouth and student purchases (we could even arrange some deal to make each student buy a copy), and I make money from teaching.

C2's ease of use and simple, intuitive interface allows me to teach teenagers, who are eager to get into game dev (and hopefully creating the next big MMO, heh). I started working on some material for the course, such as books, videos and example files and now I'm wondering some things:

First, would I need an indie license per seat or will the free edition suffice? Or would I need a commercial license, since classes fall within "using Construct 2 in a for-profit organisation"?

Also, my students are all Brazilians and, being teenagers, I don't expect them to have any proficiency in english (most don't even know basic stuff), so they'll probably struggle a bit with the interface. Is there a translation API in the works? Even if it's very rough and unfinished, or I have to edit strings using a hex editor manually, I'd love to try my hand at translating C2 to portuguese - is that even possible at the current stage?

Thanks for your attention!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • i love motivated teachers.

best of luck to you and your students.

• Hi Fimbul!

Thanks for your kind words they do mean a lot to us and we appreciate it :) It's also really great to hear that you are using it for education.

On our store page we say at the bottom:

"If you are an officially recognised and registered School, Charity, University, Library etc where Construct 2 is being used you may use the standard licenses."

If you do not fall strictly into this definition (perhaps you are a private teacher) then please do email us, I'm sure we can work something out for you. We really do recognise the value of what you are doing.

In regards to the free edition, it's perfectly OK to use the free edition for each student, buying a license for each seat is not necessary as long as the games they are making do not break the terms of the license (people profit from them).

Over zealous students may hit the event limit :), if your place of work is interested in bulk purchasing of licenses then please do contact us as we can offer you some good discounts.

In regards to different language interface I have spoken to Ashley about this. At the moment it's planned, but we can't promise any dates this will be implemented. We do want some sort of language file eventually that the community can translate as they wish but again no promises on time for delivery.

I hope that answers your queries!

• Think also about multi-lingual plugins, they would also require a language file.

Instead of declaring parameters and actions/conditions/expressions with one string for name/help notice, etc..., you would declare an array of strings refering to the language file.

If C2 is set to a language, but the string for that language doesn't exist in the plugin's files, switch to default engish.

• Think also about multi-lingual plugins, they would also require a language file.

Instead of declaring parameters and actions/conditions/expressions with one string for name/help notice, etc..., you would declare an array of strings refering to the language file.

If C2 is set to a language, but the string for that language doesn't exist in the plugin's files, switch to default engish.

Plugins are easier since they're open source, I know it's not an elegant solution, but if people really needed a plugin translated and multi-lingual plugins aren't implemented, they could just edit the source.

• I am also planning on introducing Construct 2 to my students in first semester of 2012 as part of their Certificate III in Interactive Game Development. After trialling many different game engines over the past two weeks, I have finally decided on Construct 2. I am very impressed and am looking forward to see the engine developed.

• Hi Mazzran that's great to hear! Make sure you send us an email if you are looking to buy licenses we can do good discounts for educative purposes. We really want to get Construct 2 out there in education!

• > Think also about multi-lingual plugins, they would also require a language file.

> Instead of declaring parameters and actions/conditions/expressions with one string for name/help notice, etc..., you would declare an array of strings refering to the language file.

> If C2 is set to a language, but the string for that language doesn't exist in the plugin's files, switch to default engish.

Plugins are easier since they're open source, I know it's not an elegant solution, but if people really needed a plugin translated and multi-lingual plugins aren't implemented, they could just edit the source.

Not all plugins will be opensource though. 3rd party plugins, especially commercial ones...I like the idea of having a languagable plugin format

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)