Test Run: Frame Overload

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Problem Description

____ A concise description of your problem here ____

We recently ran into a red loading bar on testing our project. This occurred only after the addition of another "character animation." These are about 50x100 (*with 250 frames each).

Upon testing we were able to determine that it was not the size of the file, but the frame count that caused a problem. The test run is requesting too many calls from the local server, and returning a "insufficient resources" error code.

Removing the character sprite solves the problem, but now we have to delete 5+ chars just to run it, and then ctrl-Z them back in (this is very frustrating).

The export works fine, but this is because construct compiles sprite animations into singular sprite sheets, while in the IDE it does not (nor does it allow animations to be held as single sheets).

Attach a Capx

____ Upload a Capx to this post ____

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/575 ... ample.capx

Description of Capx

____ Concise description of what this CapX does ____

This cap holds 30+ mock character animations, it simulates the test server request overload.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 - Add enough frames (approximately 6000+).
    • Step 2 - Test run from IDE
    • Step 3 - Be frustrated!

Observed Result

____ What happens? ____

Red loading bar, failure to load images.

Expected Result

____ What do you expect to happen? ____

To load the images as it should, or allow single sprite sheets to be workable in the IDE.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (Why?)

Operating System and Service Pack

____ Your operating system and service pack ____

Windows 8.1

Construct 2 Version ID

____ Exact version ID of Construct 2 you're using ____

version 212.2

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Works with Firefox, guess I am using this for testing from now on.

• Note your .capx URL is incomplete.

This is occasionally reported, but it is a bug in Windows itself. Each process can only create up to 10,000 graphics objects, which is a limitation in Windows since the 16-bit days and has never been lifted. I am amazed that anyone would actually run in to this limit; I've no idea how you could need so many frames, and anyway this seems contrary to our advice on conserving memory.

Anyway there's not much we can do about this in C2, but C3 is being architected with this limit in mind. Exporting your project is a slower way to test, but the spritesheeting on export usually brings the image count back under the limit. If another browser works then you can always test with that as well, I guess maybe Firefox have their own graphics engine that doesn't depend on the OS and can go further.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)