Text based games

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how to make text based games in Construct in the most sensible way?

For example a text adventure, I remember making them a long while ago with Amiga Basic (using PRINT, INPUT and GOTO, yeah!), but with this event based programming I'm a little lost how to approach this the best way. Perhaps using Python? Or is Construct not the best tool for this kind of games?

Thanks!

• I've always been interested in text-based games myself. I think you can make a good text-based game in Construct and I think a few folks here (maybe cow-trix) have made one already.

IMO Construct doesn't have the best support for text related processing and you may find it easier to use Python to parse commands and interact with other characters.

The main thing is to define the world and all of the rooms that the player can move through. Due to complexity the rooms should not be layouts but instead maybe groups or a state. The state machine plugin may be very handy in this type of game.

Text games also heavily involve the use of items. You will need a good inventory system and a method to interact with the items using arrays or hashtables. You will need puzzles and a way for someone to use the items.

So lots and lots of text parsing and processing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think pretty much everything could be done in construct, but with Python being so good at text manipulation I'd say that it's the way to go.

I loved the old text adventures on the ZX81 and Spectrum.

In fact, after reading this thread initially, I booted up the speccy emulator and had a quick go on the Hobbit.

Of course, the problem is that there are both text and graphical text adventure creators available free on the Net, but it would still be a worthwhile project in Construct just to prove that it could be done.

Krush.

• Zork!

nuff said

• i have been working on a text based hacker game

it is comming around pretty nicely

it does have its fair share of problems:P

(and lack of time)

ohh and i did not use python:) just events:P

• Thanks for your input guys. I guess I have to give Python a closer look. I'm sure it can be done in Construct and even with events but if it's a pain why do it that way? But respect spearfire

• Even though I adore Construct, and would love to see its text functions improved (like better line breaks), the best tool for making "pure" text games is almost certainly Inform 7. But if you want to experiment with mixing text and more advanced graphics functions, Construct might well be the way to go. I certainly think it has potential.

• The only problem with Inform and the like is that the end user usually needs to run them through an interpreter to play them.

I'd like an adventure to be contained in an exe, show a title screen, and then allow you to play the game.

I've never come across a text adventure game creator that compiles it all into an exe file.

If anyone has, I'd be interested to hear about it (although I doubt one exists, as I'd have probably found it by now ).

Krush.

• There is quest (http://www.axeuk.com/quest/). It is specifically designed for text adventure games and there is a limited free version but the full version is like $40.

I've messed around with the free one and it seems decent, but only the full version allows packaging into exe and other features you would really need. Might be worth a look.

• The only problem with Inform and the like is that the end user usually needs to run them through an interpreter to play them.

I'd like an adventure to be contained in an exe, show a title screen, and then allow you to play the game.

I've never come across a text adventure game creator that compiles it all into an exe file.

If anyone has, I'd be interested to hear about it (although I doubt one exists, as I'd have probably found it by now ).

Krush.

It is actually possible to make .exes out of Inform projects, though not many people do. I don't have the link handy, but I know it works - I've done it myself, a while ago.

• It is actually possible to make .exes out of Inform projects, though not many people do. I don't have the link handy, but I know it works - I've done it myself, a while ago.

Well in that case, I'd better take another look at Inform.

I can't remember what version they were on when I looked at it last (it was a little while ago), but I'm going to take a look at the latest version to see if you're right.

Thanks for the info,

Krush.

• Inform, ADRIFT, TADS, StoryTron, etc.

Dont bother using Construct for a Text adventure game. There are some REALLY nifty products out there that do way better.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)