Text object editing rant

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Sorry for a rant.

But what I really dislike about C2 is the text object editor. Why are we limited to the text field? It is extremely inconvenient. Adding/editing even a paragraph of text takes longer time than it should
B
S

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

I think it is a standard for this type of application, a live update preview on the text object would be nice and writing directly into the text object would be nicer...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Couldnt agree more, its pretty shoddy as it is.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:50 pm

tavi wrote:Sorry for a rant.

But what I really dislike about C2 is the text object editor. Why are we limited to the text field? It is extremely inconvenient. Adding/editing even a paragraph of text takes longer time than it should

Yes it is inconvenient. For large blocks of text I do a 'set text' on start of layout. Then you get a text edit box that sizes to the amount of text you enter, and you can see all your text at once in the event sheet. I'm sure the new C3 editor will address this :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 pm

IndieKiwi wrote:Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

Is this what you mean? This is an example I have that uses a new line half way through.

"FPS: " & fps & " Objects: " & objectcount & newline & "IMU: " & ImageMemoryUsage & " CPU: " & round(cpuutilisation * 100)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 pm

DrewMelton wrote:
IndieKiwi wrote:Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

Is this what you mean? This is an example I have that uses a new line half way through.

"FPS: " & fps & " Objects: " & objectcount & newline & "IMU: " & ImageMemoryUsage & " CPU: " & round(cpuutilisation * 100)

I don' think so.. So when setting the default value in the text object, i want to get two lines:

"this is one line"

"this is
two lines"
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 pm

like cacotigon said :) ...arghhh
Last edited by gamecorpstudio on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:50 pm

There's no way to set multiple lines in a text box field in the C2 editor short of editing the project XML file. Your other choices are loading a script file at run-time or assigning the text box using set value in conjunction with the 'newline' keyword.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 am

IndieKiwi wrote:
DrewMelton wrote:

I don' think so.. So when setting the default value in the text object, i want to get two lines:

"this is one line"

"this is
two lines"

Hmm, I'm not sure. Resizing the text box to be tall and not very wide will give you multiple lines automatically since it should put things that don't fit on the next line. You can set "line height" to a larger number. That would give the impression of space between lines. So, those are things you could try. There isn't a whole lot else I can think of.

The way I posted before I just typed in the code in my last post in the event sheet with a "set text" event. You enter the "& newline" where you want the break.

The example text I posted before looks like this in game:

B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General