Text timers... how do you do it?

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Whoa there guys, let's take a deeeeep breath :)

Let me clear up a few things:

1. I know what a global variable is, I just didn't know how to do it in Construct.

2. I've programmed in Visual Basic and DarkBasic. I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch though. Programming in a language I'd say is far more difficult and time-consuming than using these types of programs. But that's why these programs are great, because it cuts down on that.

3. The Time line object is okay for what I need. It doesn't have to be accurate to the millisecond because the timer I'm using is just a visual representation of an action happening in another layout. I wanted to know about the layout jumping for future reference but it's not applicable to my game now.

4. My game is 90% done. It's a simple small game. I had to learn most of what I needed to do on my own which is perfectly fine, but some things I would've rather had a manual for. It's not a matter of wanting an easy way out or something, after all I've programmed in real languages and that can be really hard, so I'm not an easy-way-out guy. I just don't think manuals should even be looked at as easy way's out. Manuals are written for a reason; so that people can learn how to do something. Sure, you can always learn on your own, but normally when you do that you tend to not be as fundamentally sound as someone who learned "by the book" so to speak. Of course the upside may be that you may wind up more creative than the by-the-book guy and that can be a big plus, but that's another story.

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:50 pm

[quote="MrMiller":9ytpsvqh]Whoa there guys, let's take a deeeeep breath :)[/quote:9ytpsvqh]
My post was an answer to the arrogance and ignorance of raymond and to noone else. I hope you didn't get this wrong, raymond just misused your thread, that's why my answer was posted here and not in discussion, where raymond's and my posts should be.

But I learned a lot of Mr Almighty. Being helpful means you're condescending. :roll: Right. Understood.

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Glad to hear you've worked things out, MrMiller. I hope my example was of some help, even so. I also hope that you weren't put off by my assumption that you were a complete beginner, as I didn't have much information to go on, and I'll usually respond as such if I think it's warranted. Make no mistake, it takes more time and effort on my part to go into more detail in explanations and commenting code, and pointing out resources. I trust that you know that I was simply trying to be helpful. :)

I'd still recommend poking around with Python, just because I like it so much, and I think others might as well.

I'm not by any means an expert either, but if you need any further help, feel free to ask (though I'd probably start a different thread...) Forums are a good place to pool information together from many sources, after all.

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic