The Adventures of Froghead!

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Ok, I've played some more and got to the rolling boulders. I don't think the monkeys should be more predictable, I just felt that I didn't have much time to react to them. I take back what I said about the charging up time. I think it's fine as it is. The bombing part was tricky but fun. What I didn't like was being killed by a boulder and having to go through the bombs again (and again and again and again... ) A checkpoint there would be nice.

Bugs:
I had the same "falling into the river and not dying" bug a number of times. It happened 3 times at the gap in the bomb part which was annoying because I had to reload and start from the beginning. One time when I died I respawned in the river. And randomly some dead monkeys didn't despawn.ramones2012-04-28 15:47:07
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:27 am

@Ramones Thanks again for the great feedback! I really thought i had the falls covered! I apologise for you having to reload so many times and appreciate your persistance (I vow to have all the falls fixed for the next version!). (The other bugs i am aware of but arent as simple to get rid of, still they will be gone by final version.)

To be honest im not sure how im going to proceed, maybe i will put checkpoints after every major challenge (my only concern then is that the game might be a little too easy). But Still, i guess thats better than people not playing out of frustration.

Im glad that you came around for the charge up time. At this point I think that I might either 1. put more checkpoints in and leave the challenges as is. OR 2. make the monkeys always dive at you when close instead of potentially throwing a grenade in your face (which should hopefully decrease ones chances of dying after getting past a hard part).

Thanks mate.

Edit: Minor update - all death related bugs should be sorted now.GenkiGenga2012-04-29 08:51:54
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:29 pm

About checkpoints: I know it's just a demo but in the full game I think it's a good idea to have a checkpoint after each new major challenge. It's easy for you because you've been programming and testing it constantly but for a new player you spend ages trying to get through the bombs and then you encounter the boulders. Something you haven't seen before: do you jump over them? on them? freeze them with charge-up? Oops, too late you're dead. Back to the bombs. You know?
In later levels, when the player is used to the controls and the gameplay, you can string challenges together without checkpoints to make it more difficult.

It's a fun game. I'm close to killing that gorilla.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:04 am

@ramones Im convinced, a checkpoint after each challenge seems fair (especially on the first stage as you pointed out).

Your breakdown of the rolling barrels both made me laugh and feel like a cruel game designer at the same time :) (very good point). Thanks again mate.

Also, I think i have come around to the idea of making a mini stage to put the tutorial into action before you start the actual game. Now to buckle down and get these changes into action.

In the meantime if anyone has anything further to add to the already great feedback, please dont be shy. (Even if you just hated it because of X reason, Id love to know what your thinking).
GenkiGenga2012-04-30 08:05:54
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 am

Hey guys,

Updated to V1-4

Added a few more checkpoints (now 6 in total) for the stage. I feel this is now much fairer and should allow most people to pass with persistance. :)

Also ironed out a couple of little bugs, though 1 or 2 still remain - they are not game breaking.
GenkiGenga2012-05-02 03:38:34
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am

Welcome to V1-6 (tute graphic prob in 1.5)

Along with fixing a couple more bugs there has been a big change to the monkey AI which I think will give fresh players a better experience (and is just more fun in general). Its still quite challenging, but now when a monkey gets close enough to grab you he will always lunge. No more suprise grenades in the face.

The monkeys also now get the wind knocked out of them when they are jumped on while sliding.

As always id love to hear what you think so dont hesistate to share your thoughts :)GenkiGenga2012-05-03 11:34:38
ImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations