The Business of Game Businesses

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Another newbie question...

What have some of you done when starting your indie game business?

Have you Incorporated (LLC, etc)?

Do you need to have a Business License to sell games on Google Play, iTunes Store, Windows 8 Shop?

If you have not Incorporated, how do you handle income from the games in regards to taxes, etc - if any (I am smart enough to realize there may not be any)?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 am

I'd think you need some official type stuff as you would be making transactions with the store as they take their cut. I too would like to know though. I wouldn't consider this a newbie question, we are creative content developers not businessmen

PS: Up is a good movie

Edit: I think this should be moved to general game design.Draspur2013-01-10 00:48:08
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 am

I think the only right answer is seek the advice of a local accountant for the tax concerns and a lawyer dealing with business law to guide you in setting up the right corporate entity if applicable. With that being said the following link does offer some good tips/advice. Just remember laws are always changing so the information there if accurate may be outdated(So seek out an accountant and business lawyer)

Some answers here
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 am

[QUOTE=lanceal] I think the only right answer is seek the advice of a local accountant for the tax concerns and a lawyer dealing with business law to guide you in setting up the right corporate entity if applicable. With that being said the following link does offer some good tips/advice. Just remember laws are always changing so the information there if accurate may be outdated(So seek out an accountant and business lawyer)

Some answers here[/QUOTE]

Interesting link, honestly quite jealous of the OP. But what about before you make anything, when registering with stores and getting your first bits, do you need anything special then?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 am

Not to beat a dead thread... but I wanted to chip in here... I formed an LLC. The reasoning is that with an LLC you have some protection if you get sued. They can go after the company but not your personal assets. With a partnership or as an individual you have no protection at all. Your money and the companies money are the same. So if your app causes an issue that results in a court case, your own livelihood is at stake.

With an LLC you can still file taxes as a partnership so you get to do your taxes the same way which makes it easier, but you do get a good deal of protection from the mean mean world out there.

Also copyrights and trademarks can be lifesavers in the right situations. If your game suddenly becomes a hit, be prepared for others stealing your IP (Intelectual Property)... you need some protection. Just my 2 cents...
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General