The Coding in Construct

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:54 pm

:roll: Hi all,
I was looking at a post that was asking about the programming language one would use in Construct
and of course the "No Programming Needed" however;
When I and have to place variables in a game in the Event Sheet,
(I'll show the attached file I was looking at I got on here about way points)
In the follow track section on the demo, it has "turnspeed*dt*60"
for helping guide to a node. What is this and why was it needed and how do I learn to use this type
of coding?
This is one example of scripting or programming that I need learn to better
understand this software, but you need to know more than this one thing when doing these sort of things so could you all please give me a basic guide line on what this kind of coding is and where I learn it?
Is it simply Java Script?

I want to understand the mind set when thinking aobut this in a logical progression
of learning.

Thank you all :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:59 pm

It is maths rather than code

*60 means, well, you multiply by 60
*dt means you multiply by dt, dt is one of the many expressions of C2, you can found the system expressions here: https://www.scirra.com/manual/126/system-expressions

dt is the time between the last frame and the current frame, C2 execute the event sheet each frame, so this dt can be used as a "tick to time" conversion when needed (I think I am not clear, a quick search on dt will help you)

at first it may feel weird, but you can learn when they are needed, and when they are not.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Thank you for your reply, I guess I was asking how to learn to write and use
them, the underlying logic.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Much of the C2 syntax (comparators, symbols, functions, etc...) is based on javascript.

No coding inasmuch as you can 'block out' a game with behaviors and plugins, with just a few events to 'glue' things together. A great way to brainstorm and prototype. Later on, you'll gravitate more towards events where you have more control over things.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:02 pm

Thank you,
B
S

Return to Construct 2 General