The Construct, someday will support 3D?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Ashley, not to say it should be done, but there is a market for an easy 3D game maker- people like me who are okay at graphics but not so good at other stuff. I guess it just prevents you from having to get specialized team members (instead of doing it all yourself).

I would be more than happy if you eventually enabled New Super Mario Bros. style graphics, though.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:35 pm

One thing to keep in mind is how hard it would be to make a wysiwyg for 3d, and even if there was one it would be pretty limited, probably to a certain game type.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:07 am

[quote="Rich":24ma6ijq]There's an existing issue of 2D art being difficult for many users. How would they cope with having to make full models for everything in their game, I wonder.[/quote:24ma6ijq]
QFT

I Know I can count on one hand the members of the forum that i KNOW can do 3d modeling. and even then only a few of them can do 3d characters not to mention the rigging and the texturing.

3d in the industry still has almost no engines that can do everything most engines are made for one game and then are modded by other studios to suite their needs. as others have stated a WYSIWYG 3d editor would take a lot of time and effort.

[quote="Rick16":24ma6ijq]The other makers have support for 3D, even weak[/quote:24ma6ijq]
what other game makers are you talking about. and there is some 3d support for the 3d box.

[quote="kingkibble":24ma6ijq]people like me who are okay at graphics but not so good at other stuff.[/quote:24ma6ijq]
You might be good at graphics but can you do 3d graphics and if you can can you do rigging and texturing?

[quote="kingkibble":24ma6ijq]I would be more than happy if you eventually enabled New Super Mario Bros. style graphics, though.[/quote:24ma6ijq]

you could do this style now it would take alot of time and work but you could still do it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:53 am

Construct has a some level of 3D capability - it has depth, meshing, distort maps. It has everything you need to make a fake 3D RPG. You know Terranigma, the world view? That's all faked, no actual 3D engine. In fact, many games that seem to be 3D are faking it to some extend, as well.

You can make a Wolfenstein clone in Construct, if you just give it enough effort. It is a question of learning Construct's capabilities. Keep prototyping stuff and eventually you'll figure things out.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="Rick16":o6xixw5z]The other makers have support for 3D, even weak[/quote:o6xixw5z]
what other game makers are you talking about. and there is some 3d support for the 3d box.

MMF2 and has the Game Maker, the 3DBox is not so powerful so as Mode7 and D3D
B
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 pm

I don't think construct should go full 3D, but I really really think that a mesh object should be made that acts the exact same as the 3D box but displays a fully textured custom model. The 3D object is easy to use and versatile enough that a lot could be done with it, and no modifications would be needed to be made to the editor to do it. This way it retains the ease of use of construct and has more power.

For example, I'm making a gradius style shooter. With it, I could have massive starships that can move and rotate about easily - without, I have to use massive amounts of VRAM.

While I would like some basic features like basic lights, 3D 'hotspots' placement (to make it rotate at the correct location and to make objects that have multiple parts), camera controls to move about in 3D space, and maybe something like a 3D bullet behavior would be nice, but none of those are really necessary. A 3D object version of the box object alone would be awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Because nobody here has a tutorial on how to do a game in 3D (Pseudo-3D) using the Construct ?
And, There is, programs for creating 3D games, and easy, As the Creator Esperient.
And on the Sprite Editor is not necessary that he have to adapt to 3D, but to some extent and could import 3D files. Obj
B
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

[quote="Rick16":2mg7pjqm]There is, programs for creating 3D games, and easy, As the Creator Esperient.[/quote:2mg7pjqm]
then go use that. We are not forcing you to use construct.

[quote="Rick16":2mg7pjqm]MMF2 and has the Game Maker, the 3DBox is not so powerful so as Mode7 and D3D[/quote:2mg7pjqm]

Mode 7 is not 3D it is 2d faked to look 3d using distortion and you could probably get the same effect with some playing around.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Construct has more than enough power to create pseudo 3d worlds, I am using 98.9, and even without 3d box or all the fancy new z depth features, I was able to create a convincing pseudo 3d world for my upcoming game. You do not need any extra plugins (even 3d box) to make pseudo 3d in Construct, but you should be comfortable with a fair bit of math. Construct gives you the power of scripting without the syntax, a fast gpu accelerated engine, and a nice ui to make everything in. The rest is up to you! It wasn't made for true 3d because as everyone is saying, 3d is exponentially more complex than 2d. I do 3d modelling and let me tell you that 3d character animation is a job in itself. Also, the code for 3d games is ridiculously complex and mathy, and it needs to be, because there's just so much to account for. Conclusion: Construct isn't for full 3d, I i'm pretty sure it will never be. If you want a complete 3d engine, you will have to use something else unfortunately. 3d games are usually made by a team anyhow, because there is just so much specialization which is required.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:54 pm

The best "3D" you can get is like the old doom 1991-1993 games.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion