The Construct, someday will support 3D?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:30 pm

3d for things like the space ship you just mentioned is pretty easy.
what people dont seem to understand is that 3d isnt just like 2d. most people around here are too scared of a little math, and thats 2d math. 3d math is whole other level and everything that seemed simple before just became a giant headache.

even if you understand how to do 3d, your barely able to do it and it is a massive challenge.

construct DOES have the capability even right now to do alot with 3d, but you gotta figure it out for yourself and understand it in order to get anywhere.

ive uploaded an open source file with all the rotation crap already, making something like that space ship mentioned is more than possible.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 pm

[quote="Genesys":1yvmpf7f]"Game Maker" is a 2D game maker too.[/quote:1yvmpf7f]

Game Maker is also a useless piece of junk unless you learn the GML language. You can't just open Game Maker and make a decent 2D game with their drag and drop interface, let alone a 3D game. And you'd still have to learn all the 3D math. Which as Quazi said, you can do in Construct too if you know what you're doing.

[quote="Somebody":1yvmpf7f]Besides 3D games already have several high-end engines... Construct is focusing on an awesome development platform for 2D while employing hardware acceleration and shaders.[/quote:1yvmpf7f]

Exactly. If you want 3D there's always Unity, which is probably the most user friendly 3D game dev suite out there. Construct if silling a 2D niche that other programs like MMF and Game Maker aren't. It's trying to advance the playing field for 2D development, and there's nothing wrong with that. The 2D world needs Construct more than the 3D world at this point.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 am

A 3D object loader would be like New Super Mario Bros. DS, right? The viewing angle is always from the side, but you can use 3D objects instead of sprites. I've been thinking recently about how incredibly useful that would be...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:43 am

[quote="Mr Wolf":26419fdx]A 3D object loader would be like New Super Mario Bros. DS, right? The viewing angle is always from the side, but you can use 3D objects instead of sprites. I've been thinking recently about how incredibly useful that would be...[/quote:26419fdx]

It would be, but unless it's made as a third party plugin then it's probably never going to be made.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:23 am

That's unfortunate. I hope someone makes it sometime.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am

[quote="deadeye":2p6gj4em]The 2D world needs Construct more than the 3D world at this point.[/quote:2p6gj4em]

Totally agree. 3d obj loader would be a nice feature, but I think there are many thing to improve in 2d yet. The biggest limitation a can see in 2d is the memory used. With 3d we can get smooth animations with lower resource cost. Would be great to see one day unlimited frame count/resolution sprite animations, some kind of streaming technology. I have not seen yet Miyazaki style fluid animations , so there are much to improve. SSD hard disk are near, and maybe can help.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am

Unlimited resources, a good game does not make. I think people should focus on learning the software as it is and making good games, not getting blinded by shiny things.

Also, a crap game is still a crap game, no matter how many dimensions it's got.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 pm

[quote="Lost my Keys":15makz5d]Unlimited resources, a good game does not make.[/quote:15makz5d]
assert(this)

There's a game called Bikini Karate Babes, featuring large 2D sprites with 60fps animation. Heard of it? no. Wanna know why?

It sucks.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 am

[quote="Lost my Keys":1je7wqqj]I think people should focus on learning the software as it is and making good games, not getting blinded by shiny things.
[/quote:1je7wqqj]
The software isn't even finished and besides, adding new things is not necessarily a bad thing. If everyone should be learning the software as it is, does that mean people should not have created new plugins/features? Plenty of new features have been added to Construct and they are extremely useful. There are quite a few third party plugins too. They only make Construct better. What about all those Effects? Are they so bad?

3D is not just some shiny thing. It could save people a lot of time in many cases. That time could be reinvested in higher quality gameplay. VRAM is a real issue too. Some things really ARE limited by VRAM. Besides, a better looking game will always be taken over a game that is not as good looking if their gameplay is the same. 3D objects would open up countless possibilities to make better gameplay too.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm

[quote="deadeye":2lvnfhzf][quote="Genesys":2lvnfhzf]"Game Maker" is a 2D game maker too.[/quote:2lvnfhzf]And you'd still have to learn all the 3D math.[/quote:2lvnfhzf]

I don't think so. In Game Maker, with some simple steps, I loaded a 3D map made in Gile[s], with LIGHTMAPS and textures, and made a 3D camera with W, A, S, D + mouse controls. That's because Game Maker (even with Drag & Drop, which I didn't use), have 3D commands.

@Ashley: We're not saying you'd have to make Construct fully 3D, we're just saying we would like a simple 3D object loader PLUGIN. Since I don't know how to make one, because I'M NOT A DEVELOPER, we're asking to make one, starting from a REALLY simple 3D object loader. Also, a plugin like that could be improved over the time.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion