The D3DX DLL error

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 am

[quote="CaptainOblivious":rcni5n6y]SoldjahBoy, the idea is to make it so EVERYBODY can make the needed changes and run the applications. If programmers went around creating error messages essentially saying "you poor sap, you're too stupid to use my app," I don't think there would be any users at all. Besides, think about it. You had to learn somehow at some point too, right?[/quote:rcni5n6y]

True... I just get frustrated at the endless idiots that come into my shop everyday... it's easy for me to just think "you are dumb... begone!"

Having said that, when I was learning... I read the messages and took note of what they said. Ignorance and plain lazy/stupidity are two different things. I still think the way you worded the error message is best though as the "technical" information was put at the end so people who don't understand/care about that stuff don't get turned off of reading the helpful dialog box.

Stupid people should still be dragged to the street and shot though IMO. :lol:
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:01 am

What about people who don't have english as their first language?

Also just because you don't understand technology doesnt mean you're dumb. They might not know what directX is or a dll.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 am

Maybe the best solution (although would require more space in the exe), would be to show a pop up which would download the executable from the microsoft site for the user. Thus simplifying the process.
B
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:25 am

If they dont understand english why would they install EN app?
And if they dont know about DirectX
[code:1165frgk]Click 'OK' to visit the Microsoft to install the latest updates for DirectX 9.[/code:1165frgk]
Assuming they know english they just click OK.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:51 am

Instead of having some error box which people immediatly assosciate with something being 'broken', how about an info box? With a picture or something and some nice buttons. It's more user friendly.

Construct logo, a title, 3 buttons, like "Download now", "More Help" or "Cancel" or something
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I think the best solusion would be something short like "your version of DirectX is too old, klick OK to download the newest version" And a button named "More information" with all the tecnical things. I've seen this a few times, and it's really helpful. People get scared of that kind of complicated language (i have to admit, at first i didn't even finnish the first post in this thread :oops:). Te best thing to do is to hide it behind a drop-down or something.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:17 pm

[quote="Ethan":onxlgsfv]What about people who don't have english as their first language?

Also just because you don't understand technology doesnt mean you're dumb. They might not know what directX is or a dll.[/quote:onxlgsfv]
People that don't understand technology are ignorant, not dumb... as I said there is a difference. It's ok to be ignorant about something because you can't be expected to know everything, and ignorance can be fixed by learning... but blatantly refusing to read 2 sentences out of sheer laziness, then give up in frustration is DUMB. Also, Construct will eventually have multi language support from the look of things. I'm sure it's not just people that speak english that don't read message boxes...

Captain's suggestion is still the best, though Attan makes a good point by keeping it simple, which you can subliminally read just by trying to click the OK or CANCEL button.
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:11 pm

i still think it's better to just tell a user how to solve the problem when it's just a missing file or something with only one solution =P
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:46 pm

The truth is, technology scares some people. A lot of people. Computers are complex, and a lot of 'casual' users don't know anything past the basics. The instant they read: "A required DirectX component, 'd3dx_30.dll', was not found." What's a .dll?! Yikes! Cancel. They don't want to screw anything up. For that matter, a lot of people who play casual games and such don't even know what direct X is.

We're developers and most of us have probably been tech-savvy most of our lives, so it's easy to not realize just how nervous the general populace is about computers.

As such, I would recommend close to what Attan suggested, so the box says: "Your version of DirectX is too old, click update to download the newest version." And a button named "More info" with all the technical details.

I'm not sure if 'update' is better than 'OK', but either way that sounds completely harmless and obscures the technical information that might scare them away. They know 'more info' is for advanced users, and that they don't have to know what it is - otherwise it would be displayed in the main message - and they don't need worry about the details.

It also makes the solution seem easier - they don't need to know what a .dll is, they just need to click that update button, which will update direct X - whatever that is - which will let them play. What's more, is it makes it seem safer. "Oh, I already have direct X? Well, updating it isn't any trouble, then."
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm

OK, well I've changed the error message to:

[code:80qmsyg9]Your DirectX installation appears to be out of date. Please install the latest version of DirectX by clicking 'OK' in order to run this application. The required component, 'd3dx_30.dll', was not found.

[OK] [Cancel][/code:80qmsyg9]

We'll see how it works out.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion