The Do's & Do Not's of Game Design

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am

A lot of great and funny points made. I will make sure to keep a few of these in mine whenever I make a game myself :-)
B

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

A lot of brilliant points in that article. Definetely worth the read. I'll make sure to use it when I make my own game.
B

Post » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:07 am

Do not take too much heed of lists like this...

Do use your imagination...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:19 am

[QUOTE=The Bespectacled One] [/QUOTE][QUOTE="Rock, Paper, Shotgun"]DON'T leave diary entries by one person scattered over miles of corridors, buildings and countries. Thats not how a diary works. A diary tends to be all in one place. Most people, when journaling their lives, dont tend to scribble it out on the nearest scrap of paper and then leave it wherever they wrote it. Because that would be utterly insane.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but maybe the diary writer was insane. Actually, wouldn't that be more likely than not, otherwise there's no plot.Aurora Australis2014-02-16 02:20:04
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=Aurora Australis] [QUOTE="Rock, Paper, Shotgun"]DON'T leave diary entries by one person scattered over miles of corridors, buildings and countries. Thats not how a diary works. A diary tends to be all in one place. Most people, when journaling their lives, dont tend to scribble it out on the nearest scrap of paper and then leave it wherever they wrote it. Because that would be utterly insane.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but maybe the diary writer was insane. Actually, wouldn't that be more likely than not, otherwise there's no plot.[/QUOTE]

Insane Diary scattered around the area. It's so old cliche.. I'd expect it to be found on TV-tropes.
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

^Really, any pices(s) of paper scattered around waiting to be gathered for no particular reason is kinda trope-y, and overdone.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm

It's missing one rather important piece of advice:

Don't ever make a Flappy Bird clone!*

*1:1 clone, that is. Something like Delirious Bird is pretty cool, actually.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Do not add words Flappy or Zombie to your game title in a next 20 years at least.

Why everything has to be about zombies anyway? Maybe there is a wide audience of people who can relate to them or something.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:18 pm

The whole bit about animation after dying is awesome. Especially in mobile games where it can get absolutely infuriating. I don't need a sad sound, depressing animation and a question if I want to play again. The levels take usually 3 minutes to beat, of course I want to play again. Just restart the level and we're done. If I don't want to play anymore I know how to quit the game (usually).
My first game, Swingy Angie, available now on
Google Play and Opera Store

Let us honor the desire to work, for it is a movable holiday occuring up to three times a year.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Of course you can't sprint for more than 3 seconds; your magic trousers are wayyyyyy too full of guns. Drop a couple hundred pounds of ordnance and you could probably sprint through the whole game...

With a grain of salt, it's a decent article, but largely just an opinion piece. Everybody's preferences are different, and every game should have a target audience other than "Everyone".
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas