The Future:2030 Competition Discussion

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 am

Yeah, it's no big deal to me. My plan was to get all the mechanics worked out and get it uploaded. I only had about a week to really work on it, but I am happy where it ended and I look forward to building onto it :).

Thanks for nice comments.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm noticing a few odd votes on my game too, with strange justifications. It might just be the community though, I've not been there before now.

I think future competitions could do with some much more concrete guidelines. Not just to better explain that votes from other users account for nothing, but also how "updates" work. I've just read back through this thread and seen people are continuing to work on their submissions after the deadline, not just with bug fixes but full-on content updates and mechanic tweaks. Doesn't that defeat the point of working to a deadline? What about those of us who worked to that deadline and then stopped - now we're learning that we could have continued adding content that we had to cut last minute, and further polish our entries?

At the end of the day, I entered for the experience and to push myself out of my comfort zone (fantasy-based settings). But for future competitions, we definitely need to set some more rigid rules, because I'm now completely confused about the point of a deadline :?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 pm

In fact, you need to read the NG Forum topic about the jam.
TomFulp gave indications about that (and i saw them 2 days ago)

You can update your game as you want (if I understand well). There is not really a "deadline" for development. Maybe it's only here for late contestants, you can't add a game after this date for the jam, but that's all.
And results are only based about the jury experience, not about votes. It was described on the NG topic too.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:12 pm

All I can see in the rules/instructions from both the C2 topic (this thread) and Newgrounds topic (here) are that the deadline is June 15th. That's why I'm confused about so many people continuing to work on and improve their submissions, even a full two weeks after the deadline :shock: Wish I'd known this was allowed, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the rules sections on either site.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm

I agree, it seems a bit confusing to allow continued work on a project when the whole idea of a jam is to get it done right within the time limit.
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 pm

B

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:21 am

Haha, buried in page four of the thread :lol:

That's exactly what I mean - next time one of these competitions is put together, definitely make the rules more transparent! Keep them on the first post, under the "rules" section, and don't keep changing them as you go along and then also neglect to update the main topic with the changes :P

We've now got a situation where some people have had over two months to work on their submissions, while others have abided by the deadline from the original rules and deliberately held back on improving their game for fear of being disqualified.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 pm

ah, yeah this would have been nice to know. I probably wouldn't have changed much with my game but I did upload a few tweaks today after learning that updates aren't against the rules.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:09 am

I have never done a Jam before, how long does it typically take to get results?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:11 pm

There were ~130 entries and Tom Fulp the main judge has just finished playing them all through thoroughly. It's down to a list of finalists now which Scirra is helping judge. Not much more longer!
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General