The Future

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 am

@AngelEyes

there are no free meals in this world [unless someone live in North Korea concentration camp] and making games (or apps) is about making money. Of course it is nice to be 15 years old and make first app for family&friends, that will have 10-50 installs, but that's not enough for real life. 100% of Java developers do apps for money so why Construct 2 should be worse? So as I said many times: Scirra should make deal with some mobile ad network and make possible real monetization methods. Because now real money is in mobiles. szymek2013-08-27 09:38:44
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 am

[QUOTE=szymek] @AngelEyes

there are no free meals in this world [unless someone live in North Korea concentration camp] and making games (or apps) is about making money. Of course it is nice to be 15 years old and make first app for family&friends, that will have 10-50 installs, but that's not enough for real life. 100% of Java developers do apps for money so why Construct 2 should be worse? So as I said many times: Scirra should make deal with some mobile ad network and make possible real monetization methods. Because now real money is in mobiles. [/QUOTE]

Money is in mobiles only for a select few top-developers. Combined with the massive piracy rate of mobile games it's hardly profitable unless you're one of the mentioned top-developers.
B
S

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 am

[QUOTE=Xionor]Money is in mobiles only for a select few top-developers. Combined with the massive piracy rate of mobile games it's hardly profitable unless you're one of the mentioned top-developers.[/QUOTE]

my friend (Java developer) does 3-4000 USD on free apps, monthly,
his friend do the same,
another his friend - 15,000 USD monthly
another: 10,000 USD monthly

all on free apps with banners, full screen ads, interstitials
and so onszymek2013-08-27 10:09:47
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:24 am

IMHO, less mature, young technologies may equal smaller market, but also more opportunities. More chances for innovative projects.

Wait 5 more years, and you'll see HTML5 app creation tools at a new level. You'll see Adobe try to dominate the market with a super-duper app-making application, to replace Flash. They saw it coming a couple of years ago, after all, when they declared no more mobile flash ;-)

It seems to me that what Java tried to become some 15 years ago, now HTML5 can really be ;-) Java started purely as a client-side thing, after all.

You're not seeing huge productions in C2, because it is currently not easy to design in C2 a workflow in a project involving 10 programmers, a couple of audio engineers, and a bunch of designers/animators. C2 lacks a good team-based workflow. The per-layout project separation already has great roots for a nice asset-based pipeline. Give Scirra some time, and it's coming for sure :-)

Cheers,
Greg
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 am

Re: future platform support - we haven't made any concrete announcements, because we don't have concrete guarantees about which platforms we can support yet. However I'd say it's likely we can support the Wii U, likely we can support the Ouya (via CocoonJS - they are working on support currently I believe), and I think there's a good chance we can support the XBox One as well, since MS have said it will be able to run Windows 8 apps which we already support. Sony have made nice sounding announcements about the PS4 but we haven't heard anything that involves HTML5/web technology, so it's hard for us to predict how that will pan out.

Monetisation is a different topic really, but we are aware we could be doing more in this area and plan to do something about it soon. Our understanding is that it's easier to make money through IAP than through advertising, so that's what we'd be looking at first.

It should be possible for teams to work on C2 projects - see how to collaborate on projects with SVN.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:23 am

[QUOTE=Ashley]Monetisation is a different topic really, but we are aware we could be doing more in this area and plan to do something about it soon. Our understanding is that it's easier to make money through IAP than through advertising, so that's what we'd be looking at first.[/QUOTE]

sell apps = iOS
IAP = iOS

Android needs serious ads...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm

I think until C2 gets some serious development effort into it's stability, it will remain a hobbyist tool. I am unable to use it longer than an hour without it locking up, or just plain refusing to close. It's frustrating and irritating to work with for extended periods. And it's not just me, there's a whole thread of peple complaining about this very issue, with little to no developer responses. It's way easier to prototype a game with it, and it's got a lot of great built-in behaviours but until it can run without locking up, I'll be using a different gaming engine full time, but keep my eye on this one.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm

I used to have problems with stability on versions about a year ago. But no problems at all for me now. I'm currently building small games for clients, so running C2 all day, everyday, without problems.
Usually reload every couple of days are so, just out of habit really.
B

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 am

Thanks for the great replies everyone, much appreciated.

I must say, it really is a plus to have one of the main devs post here, so thank you for that, Ashley.

From what I can see, C2 still has a ways to go in some respects, however, I think it could fit my needs quite well in the near future. I have some flash projects to finish up and then I'll jump in and see what I can do with it. Maybe I'll try porting over some of my more financially successful games to HTML5 to test the waters (seeing as I already have all the assets and design work done) and learn how the eventsheet really works.

From my perspective at this stage; I wouldn't make this my main toolset until there are more ways to turn a profit (especially from android ads). It is certainly on the right track though if this is something you're aiming for.

Interesting to hear that about possible stability issues. I've played around with the free version quite a bit but haven't come across anything to serious yet.

In terms of performance, I just tested a webgl project on one of my really old, low-end test laptops and it worked pretty well. Far better than Flash has ever achieved on that system anyway.

Thanks again!headfizz2013-08-29 00:53:05
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:35 am

My co-developer and I have used C2 day in day out for months without any real stability issues. Sure, there have been some minor issues but nothing like @wizaerd reports.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General