The hunt for the ULTIMATE PLATFORMER AI!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:02 pm

[quote="SuperV":3nklo7ej]I found a flash game which makes enemies jump on platforms to arrive to the player.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/323678

You could contact the creator.[/quote:3nklo7ej]

Hmm.. i played it until i died (like five or six levels) but i didn't find anything where they actually had to figure out the best way. To make an enemy jump over an obstackle is not hard, or to make them jump if you are on the platform above them.

Did you find anything in the game where they acomplished something like this ?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 am

Not really, but I was curious if the enemies had some invisible object that told them to jump, or they jumped because of their AI?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:18 pm

The thing i'm currnetly working on is a hybrid between both. each enemy spread it's own helper objects around the level.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:58 pm

[quote="Gullanian":o0mzoyoo]A* path finding is definatly the way to go. I think I have thought of a way this can be tackled as well, will try and demonstrate it when I get home today.[/quote:o0mzoyoo]

Getting anywhere?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:53 am

*bump*

There is a pathfinding extension for Multimedia Fusion which can possibly be used for things like this.

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbt ... mber=68509

Maybe if someone asks the author nicely, he can share his source code, and it can be ported to Construct.
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:56 pm

What you look for is a Recursion allgoritme. (with min/max)

Here is a good start for you: http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Practices/So ... Recursion/

Now i have to say that i tried recursion in construct in de form of a 4connect AI. I found myself to dumb to complete it. And i abandonded it.

I found one thing though, in my attemped. The way you can add variables to the function object, loop trough them, clear them easy, call them easy is a BIG help in recursion solutions. If i only had the right background in programming, i woulda finished it.

Ashley, you have the right background and the backbone. I would love to see a recursion tech demo. Maybe i would be able to understand an use it.

j0h
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:18 am

Edit: Holy crap, it only just occured to me how OLD this thread was. However, I believe gravedigging topics is fine as long as the poster brings in something meaningful. :D

The way I see it, you could use two possible techniques for achieving a proper path-finding result:

1) A*. A*/A-Star is a very, very effective algorithm. The RTS plugin uses A*, so it MIGHT be possible to use said plugin to determine path-finding and how the AI will respond to the environment around them. I'd imagine it could take a bit of work, however.

2) Cheat. I've Google-searched platformer AI, and I noticed this particular thread, and a few of the guys there are encouraging techniques that make the AI look smarter than it really is, eg, using additional objects that the AI uses as information about the environment around them.

Basically, it depends on how you want to go about it. However, an A* path-finding behaviour for platformers certainly would come very much in handy, might wanna keep it separate from the platform behaviour, though, in case someone (like me) is using the Custom Movement Behaviour instead.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:30 pm

I've learned some things from this thread so I won't fault you.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 pm

fake it, going for some A* system would work well for sure, but its definitely way more complicated than it needs to be. keep it simple.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

^this

I was talking in chat about this, and suggested Python as a possibility.
There's tons of stuff existing for sorting, and there's probably a lot for A* as well.
But the thing is that wont take into account your movement.
Yes it could find this node to that easy as pie, but how would it know when to jump, and at what speed?
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic