The Official Introduce Yourself Thread

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi,

I have been playing with making games since the trs80 color(coco) computer's era.
Made many but never fully completed a thing.

The best time was during AMIGA time with AMOS where I managed to knock 2 sort of completed games. A 2x2 fight game and a plataformer.

I have always been looking for engines to code games into and last week I found this!
Excellent stuff, it is my first time using a higher maker non-coding program.

Documentation seems hard at the moment, so I will be needing a lot of help and should provide some too from my discoveries.

Anyway, it feels good again to be part of a game creating community,
This all looks very promising!
B
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:25 pm

[quote="Jburton":2sbcbenm]
I have been playing with making games since the trs80 color(coco) computer's era.[/quote:2sbcbenm]

HELL YEAH! :D

The TRS-80 Color Computer was the first computer I ever used. That's what I learned to program BASIC on. Good times.

Welcome to the forum :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:00 pm

I guess I should do this too :/

Hi my name is Jeff, and I am an alcholi.... oh wait, wrong boards. xD

Started using KnP back in the 486DX days, realised it sucked, tried to learn Visual Basic and some C++... VB was easy enough but C++ was just whoa.

Moved on to TGF which I ended up making a LOT of mostly complete games, or at least one full level of a game. Learned a lot of tricks from such a limited system. Moved on to MMF and MMF2 which I tinkered with again for a number of years, still not happy with it's capabilities.

Fiddled with GameMaker for a few months... didn't like that much at all coming from a ClickTeam (badly engraved) background. I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't used Knp, TGF, and MMF/2.

Found Construct about a year ago or so, and been here since. I have made far more technical and complex things in a shorter time, but I attribute a lot of that to past experiences as Construct works in a similar event method and logic, while making things so much easier and "actually" logical. This software is definitely the the best of the bunch with far more powerful options, graphically, and code/event control. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and can't wait to see what the future releases will bring.

Aside from that, I have been an art inclined individual for most of my life, so my art is my personal strong point in comparison to say, maths or complex code... hense the main reason you will find me here.

Most of you already know, but here is my main project as of now:

Also working on a little something as a side project... will announce once I have a working tech demo at least.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 pm

hey im Kevin, but ppl know me as Quazi around here and a few other places.

ive been playing games ever since i can remember, I started on the SNES, playing way too many Mario games, and lots of mortal kombat 3 (as a 4 year old lol).
i think i first started making games around the age of 6-7, using power point. me and my bro had made a maze game, where you need to select the right door out of 3 to progress over and over again. then for a few years i perfected game making on powerpoint, and i was able to implement AI and action sequences using nothing but hyper links and automatic slide advancing.
i later found KnP, made a few mario clones, and moved onto TGF.

i completed 2 games on that over like 3 years, found a hacked version of mmf2, it was meh, and then found construct about 2 months later.

ever since then ive been using it and never looked back.

right now i'm a 14 year old HS student. I'm known around here for making some pretty complicated and mathy stuff, although ive been rather inactive lately as i focus on actually making a complete game.

thats about it!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":r3p18k3j]right now i'm a 14 year old HS student. I'm known around here for making some pretty complicated and mathy stuff, although ive been rather inactive lately as i focus on actually making a complete game.

thats about it![/quote:r3p18k3j]

You're 14?

Pheh. I thought you were younger.

(unimpressed)

...kidding :mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 am

I think it's my turn now. My name is sergei,from russia.(that was rather obvious :)).i started playing games from dendy>Sega>sony ps>dreamcast and now pc.well,action Rpg is "my choice".and when i get tired from it,i play some shoot'em up game. I often thought-that game is good,but not enough.if only i could...well,you know what happens next.after some tries,i understood that programming is rather hard,and takes some time to master.so i went through internet,spent some time searching,untill i found construct. The main "plus" of it is that friendly community.i am rather inactive on forum,because all my questions are already answered,so i just need time to find,and-here it is!no problems! By the way:i'not a programmer.not a painter.i can't write a song,Or make some music.but i am rather good in scenario writing.from easy and small-good vs bad fight,to rather complicated stuff,that takes time but is rather nice in the end.like,i helped with scenario for some comics and a couple subquests for some games.now i'm trying to make a shooter in 2d,with a medium scenario and maybe even not linear after all.i just love games with more than 1 ending,so my game will have 2 or more of them.that's it.
B
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi,

I don't know if you'll see me a lot, but I think it's better to introduce myself. My name's Julien, and I'm french, sorry. I understand quite well english, but when it's to me te speak, it's quite difficult :roll:
So I read a lot, but I don't think to post a lot.

IRL I live in Lille (north of the France), I'm 24 and I'm actually working on a french mmorpg as QA. I like Game Designing so I learn Construct to test my ideas. Make it concrete is a challenge, it's not really good actually, but I'll learn !

I apologize for my very bad english :( . If some speaking french guys want to help the noob, DON'T HESITATE ^^' (is somewhere a french community for construct, forums, blogs and tutorials ?).
B
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:58 pm

[quote:35j0nwej]hey im Kevin, but ppl know me as Quazi around here and a few other places.

ive been playing games ever since i can remember, I started on the SNES, playing way too many Mario games, and lots of mortal kombat 3 (as a 4 year old lol).
i think i first started making games around the age of 6-7, using power point. me and my bro had made a maze game, where you need to select the right door out of 3 to progress over and over again. then for a few years i perfected game making on powerpoint, and i was able to implement AI and action sequences using nothing but hyper links and automatic slide advancing.
i later found KnP, made a few mario clones, and moved onto TGF.

i completed 2 games on that over like 3 years, found a hacked version of mmf2, it was meh, and then found construct about 2 months later.

ever since then ive been using it and never looked back.[/quote:35j0nwej]
Replace Kevin with David, and Quazi with Davioware. We share the exact same childhood, as we were doing most of these things together all the time. I'm 18 btw.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:57 am

What's up? I'm new around here, I recently (literally a couple hours ago) downloaded Construct, and I gotta say, it's a lot better than Game Maker in my opinion. Of course, when you try to learn software at 2 in the morning, your mind might be a little off, so :P

But anyways, I love the interface. I just finished the first tutorial, the one alien shooter. I know I'll have some problems with events and stuff, but that'll be on my part, not Construct's. Everything is so fluid when you hit Run All, it's all so smooth, it's awesome. I just wanna say this is a great tool for creating games, and hell Scirra Forums, I'll be around here often now!
B
G

Post » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Oh well I might post here too.
My name is Eerik. Im from Finland. 18 years old.
I started gaming when I was ~4-5 years old and got computer with dos. It was nice to play duke nukem and stuff with it.
After year or so I got another computer with Windows 95 and could play bomberman and some classic games too. After that I got PS1 and skipped entire snes/nes/sega scene. But enough of that.
I started to making games with The Games Factory ~5 years ago and soon moved to Multimedia Fusion and Multimedia Fusion 2. Never made anything great or impressing becous I dont draw any graphics becous I suck at drawing and used build in movements.
When I found Construct I was impressed it was so much better to compared to MMF2. It had Directx support, good community and it was free. I started to compare Construct and MMF2 Devoloper edition becous tought maybe getting it but then 300 for MMF2 dev was just too much when you get Construct free.
But yeah, you can find some of my old games on my homepage. I might upload more of them sometime.
And now Im making Retard-Ed Driving. Just need to wait for more graphics from friend.
And thats about it. Nothing more to say.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic