The sad truth of Construct 2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 am

Let me go ahead and start this off positively by saying that I think Construct 2 is by far the best 2D game development software available today. It has nearly all the features and functionality that I want in a game development tool.

So it's sad for me to state that I just can't use Construct 2 for the majority of my projects. The reason for this is the limitations of HTML5, and the odd love affair that Scirra has with it.

My problem with HTML5 is that it just isn't there yet. It won't be "there" for a long time... if ever. It just isn't fast enough. It can't handle big games. It's incredibly challenging to work with saving/loading information for games. But the biggest problem is HTML5. Yes, it's great... yes, it's so cross platform that it basically runs on everything. But how well it runs is the issue.

iOS does not support webGL. Which means throw any special effects or processor heavy operations right out the window. Everything else mostly supports webGL, but mobile devices just can't handle heavy HTML5 games. The same games that could run flawlessly in native mobile applications, slow to a crawl with HTML5.

But you can export Construct 2 games to native apps right? No, not really. It's just the same slow HTML5, only now it's wrapped up to look like an executable, or an iOS app, or an Android app. There is really not much performance gain to be had, since it's still just pushing everything through a browser window. The problem with mobile devices is that they just can't handle running the OS plus running a browser, PLUS running a large game inside that browser.

I constantly... CONSTANTLY hit limitations with HTML5. I hit brick walls with no escape.

I feel like until Construct 2 can truly export natively, then it will just be a tool I use for small games. It's a sad truth, because the other game software I use that performs better (and creates native apps) isn't as fun to work with. I have to do a lot of workarounds and extra steps that Construct 2 handles beautifully. It's just unfortunate that Scirra is 100% gung-ho about HTML5, because HTML5 just doesn't match up to true native apps.

The proof is in the pudding. I could create a game that caps at 30fps with Construct 2 and no matter what I wrap it up in, it's still going to give me 30fps. I can make the same game and it would run at a buttery 60fps with full special effects support. Just look at what some phone apps are putting out these days and then picture the higher end phone apps being made in Construct 2. What sort of framerates would you imagine they would get running through a browser?

Is it totally out of the question that Construct 2 will ever support true native exporting?Konidias2013-02-07 04:05:08
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 am

Ashley responds to similar concerns here:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/topic62645.html

Basically it takes a lot of time to make native exporters and to maintain them, and as time goes on devices will keep becoming more powerful and thus performance will keep becoming less of a problem.alspal2013-02-07 04:36:04
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 am

I'm making a big game just fine. Super Ubi Land is coming along great in construct 2. Mobile games are pretty much out of the question for me because of the performance but I've come to terms with making games for PC/Mac/Linux. But I'm sure things will get better. I can see why this is a huge problem for others though.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 am

I got Final Fantasy Tactics for Ipad this Christmas thinking it would be awesome to relive the old memories.

Turns out I rarely play it as it takes to long to play to any enjoyable degree, and the dam thing crashes half the time.

There is a reason casual games do well on mobile devices.newt2013-02-07 04:39:35
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 am

Another excuse thread.

It depends on your design.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 am

I don't know man, I'm trying to make a big game on it and I'm amazed at how well it works. I'm using a bunch of layers, particles, behaviors and whatsoever and nothing has ever crashed with me.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jY1g1quBvA

Before Construct I used MMF to make my games and I lost around 2 or 3 games because MMF decided to crash whenever I opened my projects, after some time.

Link to that prototype : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383513/Sarah-PROTOTYPE2/index.htmlandreyin2013-02-07 05:48:10
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 am

So, knowing that Construct 2 is designed to create HTML5 games, you decided to complain that Construct 2 is designed to make HTML5 games. I'll let you sort that out on your own.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 am

[QUOTE=andreyin] I don't know man, I'm trying to make a big game on it and I'm amazed at how well it works. I'm using a bunch of layers, particles, behaviors and whatsoever and nothing has ever crashed with me.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jY1g1quBvA

Before Construct I used MMF to make my games and I lost around 2 or 3 games because MMF decided to crash whenever I opened my projects, after some time.

Link to that prototype : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383513/Sarah-PROTOTYPE2/index.html[/QUOTE]

@andreyin i love your prototype!

Also im developing another zedla-like game, here is my prototype
http://flamma-beta.com/HTML5/ser17/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 am

HTML 5 runs better and faster than Flash on my computer. I don't think it is that HTML 5 is slower, but the device itself performs extremely poorly with it. I'm sure they can optimize it to work better with the device, it will just take some time.

I'm not an expert, this is just my personal experience with it, so what I say is not 100% accurate or considerable evidence to prove the point of HTML 5's dominance.Helladen2013-02-07 06:54:24
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 am

C2 IS a game-making tool. Powerful, yes, but every game maker (pun intended) out there has it's limitations. Scirra is doing great job for such a small company, especially with all the latest betas.

My advice to you Konidias - learn to code. It would solve all your problems. C2 is not for everyone - it has it's pros and cons.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General