The sad truth of Construct 2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I think this thread has been fabulous a lot has come out of it :) As an example I'm still a naysayer, but I drove me to do the performance testing with different settings. Result was that i was able to increase performance by a lot. Also I went about going through different websites and found some interesting facts.

Canvas rending SUCKS. Even Cocos-x on android isn't all that good. While we are annoyed with 20fps issues they are having troubles with 30fps issues with the same sprite circumstances. There are gaming blogs that report game design considerations once you hit more than 30 sprites. With that part of the problems lay in the Tegra 1 and 2 where any transparent rendering has flaws which also drops performance.

What however changes is oddly enough OpenGL 3d based rendering. Strangly enough a full on 3d engine doing 2d can render 250 sprites animated at 30fps on a Tegra 2. I'm not sure why the difference or what's going on. but it is insightful. None of this would come to light if discussions aren't there.

Now to something important which I don't think the HTML5 choice will ever get over. Which is the other problem. Let's remove the entire performance speed issue. let's assume we are in happy land :) heres the problem
https://hydra.agoragames.com/
https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/odk
anything that is native code access

even the day HTML5 becomes this great at gaming. We can't access Steam Achievements. So there we go. Completly reliant on CoocoonJS which is closed platform at this time. Though apparently CoocoonJS has an extension manager in the works. Till that day :(

I have no idea how to monetize my Ouya game for a sale. I can't access the Ouya store. If I use Clay.io and am allowed to sell the game. this will require users to enter in the pay system by another method and well people don't like that :(.

I'm still a naysayer, but I'm willing to put performance to rest for now. I feel I can pull enough performance out what there is right now for my games. Though that doesn't change other factors :(

Anyways I thank everyone for speaking there minds and having an opportunity to speak my mind. Also Ashley participating and giving us a lot of company making decisions :)

as a final note on that however. I still think Scirra should do a kickstarter to gain funding for a 1 year staff to make the Exporter Development Kit. Once that's done. just let the community do the rest and Scirra can stay hands off towards maintaining. As Ashley pointed out Chrome was a communal developed project from many different code snippets and improvements. The EDK's exporters and plugins could operate under the same standards. Scirra can stay hands off past that entry point. But hey. That's it for me.

I hope many of you have learned as much s I have :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 pm

@jayderyu "We can't access Steam Achievements".

...out of curiosity, why do you need Steam Achievements?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 pm

[QUOTE=Velojet] @Ashley
A superb explanation of Scirra's smart decisions! What about making it a blog post? It really deserves more visibility than it gets in this thread.

Let more people know how much they're benefitting from the greatest hockey players in the business ;)[/QUOTE]

haha...what he said.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 pm

i don't right now, but my next game I will. I also listed the Hydra achievement board and Ouya ODK. Also I did mention monetization through Ouya is a must. Which I can't access through HTML5. So it's really not just about Steam.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 pm

[quote]I still think Scirra should do a kickstarter to gain funding for a 1 year staff to make the Exporter Development Kit[/quote]

It is not a bad idea.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:01 pm

There's no technical reason HTML5 apps can't access native features on a non-browser platform. Things like PhoneGap have shims to access native stuff from Javascript, Windows 8 works similarly, and the whole design of CocoonJS is forwarding JS calls to native. So not being able to use native features isn't a fundamental limitation of HTML5 - it's just a few extra technical steps are necessary.Ashley2013-02-12 15:01:53
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:12 pm

@Ashley - are there plans to support more of those features in C2 itself? Because the official node webkit plugin is missing quite a lot of what node webkit can do, it requires using those third party plugins. It would be nice if it was all incorporated into the official plugin.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Perhaps, but as I described in another thread, we'd prefer to design it so it interoperates nicely with ordinary web browsers, which generally will take longer.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:59 pm

@Ashley your statement seems a bit contradictory - these features would naturally be specific to Node-webkit export, wouldn't they?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Interesting; I didn't know HTML5 was so closely integrated with Construct 2. I certainly wouldn't want to package my HTML5 games as native apps.

Performance (no matter which IDE you're using) is pretty awful right now, especially on Android...I can't imagine any substantial game being created with HTML5 and effectively sold on the app stores.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General