the state of ouya and construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm

@jayderyu good to know thanks.

I may look into the OUYA.

Also, be sure to make a thread about any construct games that go onto the Ouya 'marketplace'!! It's nice to see when the games from here go public :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, I've been on the Ouya a little, there isn't too much as of right now, at least on my list it doesn't show that many titles and some are not quite finished, I guess it's ok as the console hasn't officially launched yet anyway, I would like to port my game once complete over to it for sure, so that tutorial would be great... Once created of course.

I can say one thing for sure though, I am most definitely modding that freaking Ouya controller lol

It's a pretty neat little console though, specially for the price, there are a few decent title on it too so far, that bomb squad is pretty fun but I got a little bored after a while...
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 4:00 pm

@sulli
I'm not one for thread maintenance :D but there are others with interest, but who knows.

@Patriik
Well I'm not sure when my game will bed done :P I hope to finish it soon. Bomb Squad is way better with 2+ players. well more the better :D. As a 1 player game. No so interesting.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

@jayderyu @patriick

Does the ouya do MP? Or just SP??
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm

@Sulli

I assume you mean
ONLINE Multiplayer
Offline Single player

Multiplayer means well multi people. There are a good hadful of local Multiplayer games. These are offline. Bombsquad is fantastic. But it's strength is only in being with multiplayers.

As for singleplayer. well any video game can be single player.

These are odd questions as making MP/SP games isn't based on hardware, but the developer's ability. It's more appropriate to ask "can you develope a mp/sp game." as it's not really a hardware thing.

However, Android does support full communications models. So there is even a few online games.

On a final note. I'm not impressed with the port games so far. You can really feel the quick copy/paste work and sometimes without enough work.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 4:35 pm

@jayderyu

I'm sorry; Is it possible to develop a Construct 2 and non construct (two parts to the question) games for the Ouya console for ONLINE multiplayer?

Summarise if that wasn't clear:
-Can you create online MP games for ouya in construct
-Can you create online MP games for ouya outside of construct
-Are these hypothetical online MP games actually playable and what is there maximum potential?

B
S
G

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 pm

ummm. that's a good question. Right now the problem is the wrapper for C2. Whatever Wrapper is used needs too support WebSockets.

As of right now I believe only CocoonJS and GameClosure supports WebSockets. However, neither of these wrappers are fully ready. GameClosure needs hand created Ouya plugin, and CocoonJS we just need to wait until they release there Ouya update.

But I would say yes, when it's ready. As for the Ouya Browser. I'm not sure.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 31, 2013 12:14 am

Hey, I got Ouya today and was wondering same question, didn't want to open new thread after I saw this.

This what I did, I exported and compiled my game on CocoonJS as Android APP. Then I uploaded Debug Unsigned apk to dropbox, logged in to dropbox via browser ON OUYA (make-Software-Browser)
and Downloaded APK file,

now this was confusing, in Manage-System-Advanced-Storage-Downloads you can see your apk, hit O button and this will install game, which can be played from Make-Software

my game was based on touchpad, and it works well on Ipad3 and Ipad 1 and Amazon Kindle Fire, but on ouya perfomace and FPS was crappy.

Then again I have not done anything else, just cocoonJS Android Build.

If there is any porting tutorial for ouya Please share, if not I will try to report what I learn about this.

Cheers
-Hellwalker
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:19 am

@hellwalker
I don't know why CocoonJS would run that poorly. Might be a optimized landwidth problem, but as I understand CJS uses it's own render and not Webkit> So I can't say for sure :|

You can try Psema4 work here https://github.com/psema4/ouya-tests
I'm not sure how to use it yet.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

awesome jade thanks for that link!
I'm going to attempt to cloud compile it with cocoonjs and test on ouya, ill let you kno my results!

(20 Minutes later...)

Not yet, i took the example js you linked jade, and zipped it up and ran it thru ludei's cloud compiler, but just got black screen on ouya, which is strange because it ran fine in browser, on my pc.

also of note: I've successfully run an .apk that was compiled in ludei's cocoonjs cloud compiler, using resolutions of 1280x720 it looked great.
I should test sound as well soon.

perhaps I can adapt a simple example and use that combined with psema's work to figure out how to wrap construct 2 games with working ouya controls, that would be sweet.

I'll keep you all posted in this thread.
Thanks for all your awesome help!
-ZakZakChaos2013-06-01 22:09:44
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General