Thinking of returning to C2 - some questions

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:00 am

Jayjay wrote:
Ashley wrote:
Jayjay wrote:In native-based engines you have much more control over resolution, so we can render the effects and things on a smaller screen space, then use one clean up-scale render-to-texture to make that "HD" using a simple one-pass shader.

We could do something like that, because we can do everything a native app can do with OpenGL ES 2 (soon 3).

That would be incredibly helpful, especially if later on we get the control to actively resize the resolution of the desktop (which is a dying trend, but is sometimes the only hope for the many gamers on older hardware on Steam).

Are you aware that the existing "low quality fullscreen mode" is effectively identical to switching resolution on a modern display? The only difference is the last-step stretch to physical resolution is done by the GPU rather than a chip in the display, and the performance impact on the GPU ought to be minimal. So you can already get low-res rendering for improved performance by setting a small viewport size and using low-quality fullscreen mode.

Beyond that it's possible to add a shader where you can turn down the quality of individual shader effects, which can be useful. However I suspect it would only help with certain intensive shaders like blurs. It also has the trade-off of (obviously) reducing the visual quality. So something like screen blend is typically very fast (no extra fill rate on top of normal rendering, it's 1:1 to normal rendering but with a different calculation), and as you turn down the quality, it gets noticably blurry/pixellated. On the other hand a low-quality blur can still look good and save performance. So, which effects are you using heavily and are you sure they will be improved by such a quality setting?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:39 am

@Ashley Ah yes, our game did take advantage of that mode, which helped a bit.

Not sure of which specific effects now, as we've retired the game and moved its source off our storage system into archives, but the GPU, aside from upscaling, was doing very little beyond sprites with possibly a few blur shader or glow effects here and there.

The low-res graphics and "native" resolution (somewhere around original NES resolution) of the game meant GPU should not have been a big issue (aside from blacklisted or underpowered GPUs on integrated chipsets).
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Blurs and glows are by far the most GPU-intensive effects in the C2 engine. It sounds like an effect-specific quality setting could help a lot there. I'd much appreciate a demo .capx (even something simple created from memory) to see what kind of thing you were working with so I can understand what the engine ought to do to optimise for that.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General