Thumbstick-template (with capx)

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Wow, I really like the bullet behavior. The movement is smooth. Knowing how knowledgeable you are in C2, I'm really looking forward to seeing your example and how you approach to this.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

@LittleStain

How are the joystick controls coming along?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:16 pm

@Boony

Haven't had much time to work on this the last week, unfortunately.
I guess I could just upload the capx of the preview I have right now, but I'm not sure if that wouldn't confuse more than help.
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm just interested in the bullet behavior joystick. I've been messing around with similar controls for weeks, and they're still not as smooth as your controls. I'm curious how you put it together.

Just an idea, but I'm wondering if it's possible to detect the change of direction and then reset the joystick to the center, then allow the player to continue to move in the changed direction? Maybe a better way of explaining it would be to say it's simulating the finger being lifted and then moving in a different direction, but without actually doing so.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by simulating being lifted and moving..

When should the actual finger start being ignored?
When would the new direction be entered?

BTW: you've got mail.
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 pm

@LittleStain This is awesome and would work very well with what im trying to do on mobile.Could you explain how you done this?
Or even better share a file with us?This has to be the smoothest ive seen yet.Thanks for sharing!!
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks @RookieDev

I will be posting the capx's soon, but I really want to make them commented before I do that. Problem is, I've been very busy, so I haven't been able to yet. Will try to get to it inbetween the things that have to be done, sorry for the delay.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Awesome! I really loo forward to checking out your style in which you used to create this effect.Thank you for sharing your knowledge bro.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

[QUOTE=LittleStain] I'm not sure what you mean exactly by simulating being lifted and moving..

When should the actual finger start being ignored?
When would the new direction be entered?

BTW: you've got mail.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking you could change direction faster if the Joystick centers itself automatically once it detects you are moving in the opposite direction than to have to move the stick manually through to the center then in the opposite direction.

So instead of moving something like:

X-10 X-9 X-8 X-7 X-6 X-5 X-4 X-3 X-2 X-1 X0 X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7 X8 X9 X10

You move something like this:

X-10 X0 X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7 X8 X9 X10

It's like if you lift your thumb off the analog stick, it centers itself, and you then move it from the center to the direction you want. As it is now, when you change direction, the player continues in the same direction until it slows down to a stop, then moves from slow to faster in the opposite direction.

When playing games that require quick reflexes, I felt that trick helped a little. Although now that I think about it, it might not matter all that much. :/

Thanks for the message. You've got mail as well.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 am

Updated the first post to include the link to the capx.
Won't have time to improve upon and or split it up for the different behaviours, I hope some people will appreciate the effort.

Edit (adding the names of people who showed interest):
@Pixel perfick
@AllanR
@Boony
@jayderyu
@andreyin
@RookieDevLittleStain2014-02-06 10:23:36
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?